Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your PCM is likely bad. Check for codes (you’ll need a scanner that can read transmission codes). If you get P0218 and/or P0714, start your search for a new PCM.

My '06 started hard-shifting from 1st to 2nd yesterday. I found the reset instructions in another discussion, did that last night and today it shifts normally again. We'll have to see how long that lasts.

So is the PCM "going bad"? If it is going bad why would resetting it work? What is the technical explanation for what is happening with the PCM?

Thanks!

Good morning and happy Thursday to you! Once the Pcm starts to go, you can reset it by disconnecting the batteries. The Jeep in the in-depth video had the same issue.::It will work until it doesn’t. Depends on the heat, how often you drive it, etc. It’s just a question of when not if unfortunately!

Call me at 866-888-7710 if you’d like to further discuss.

Best regards,

Mark

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your PCM is likely shot. Check for codes.....you’ll need a scanner that can read transmission codes. If you get P0218 and/or P0714, your PCM needs to be replaced. A software update will not fix the problem. Battery disconnect will only last a short while. PCM’s no longer available through dealers. Flagship 1 is now getting decent reviews. Wrangler Fix is new to the scene, but have not seen any feedback on the success of their product. Price from FS1 is $825. Good luck.

Edit: Sorry about this second reply.....I didn’t think my first one saved.

I should be getting one of these soon as I ordered last week. I will be happy to report on how it works out for me. I have only had the hard shifting problem so far, no odd error codes. I don't put tons of miles on the Jeep. so going a few hundred miles might take a bit of time, but I'll drive it more than usual to see if this takes care of my problem. I'm looking forward to it.
Wondering if you’ve received/installed your Wrangler Fix PCM yet?

I just received it last night and plan to install it tonight (Friday) and then try driving it this weekend. I will post how it goes over time. First we will see if it works right off. Then I plan to drive it more than usual, maybe even use it to commute for a while. For me that's 40 miles per day.

Would you mind posting a couple of pics of the PCM? Thanks.

If the reviews from this turn out good I’m next in line. Tired of resetting it after every 2 weeks
Garrett,
Several firms seem to have the PCM riddle figured out. I bought one from ECM to Go a couple of months ago and it has worked perfect. My O2 heater and transmission problem were solved and have not returned.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I installed my Wrangler Fix PCM Friday night and drove the Jeep this weekend. I'm sorry I was not able to get any pictures as I need my daughter to help me with that and she was not available. The Jeep so far has worked perfectly, no check engine lights, no codes and it shifts very smooth. I have had the hard shifts for some time now and doing the battery unplug reboot only helped for about three days on mine. I drove about 40 to 50 miles this weekend and will be using the Jeep to commute this week, about 40 miles per day. With the new PCM, the shifts are totally smooth, better than it's been in a long time. I think the Wrangler Fix PCM is the real deal and so far I'm impressed. I will keep posting over time. As far as a picture, the only noticeable difference between the new one and the original I took out is some cooling fins at the back on the original that the new one does not have. The new PCM is a bit thinner, all else looks the same, same color codes, plugs. If it stays like it is now after say 500 miles, I will recommend this to anyone with the hard shift issue.

I have put just over 100 miles since installing the Wrangler Fix PCM. So far its working perfect. No shift problems at all. As another benefit I note that the idle is improved, slightly higher rpm at idle and smoother than before. I will know better after about 500 miles, but based on what has happened so far this product appears well worth it if you are suffering with the crappy hard shifts and are sick of un plugging your battery every few days like I was.

I'll be at 200 miles by days end. Still working perfect. For Mark, I think mine was more a matter of how many start ups rather than how many miles I drove for the hard shifts to come back after I did the battery un plug reboot method. Since installing your new PCM I had far more starts and days go by with no shift problems, so I think it's safe to say your product works as claimed. I would be more than happy to recommend this to anyone and they may feel free to contact me with any questions on my experience.

I ordered one of the Wrangler Fix PCM's and installed it last Tuesday, 7/2/19. I'm approaching the 200-mile mark and shifting is smooth, I have not experienced any hard shifts since then. There are some occasional shifts where I feel it may have shifted too early, but these are few and far between. This may just be part of its adaptive learning process?

This is all good info to hear for a problem that has affected a lot of TJ/LJ owners.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your PCM is likely bad. Check for codes (you’ll need a scanner that can read transmission codes). If you get P0218 and/or P0714, start your search for a new PCM.

What kind of scanner reads the 42RLE codes?

@Wranglerfix , I'm starting to get more frequent 1-2 hard shifts, but I have no codes when doing the key cycle 3 times and checking the odometer reading (it just says "done"), no codes (or pending codes) when using my OBD II and no Check Engine/Gauges lights on the dash, other than the check during initial start up. I don't know about trans codes because I don't know what to use to read them yet. It starts and runs fine as of now, other than the hard shift sometimes.

Can your PCM fix this issue considering I don't have all the codes and such?