1999 SE from stock

Those flares are screaming for 15x8 rims with 4.25" backspace... and maybe 31s with the SE/4.10 ratios.
Family Jeeps.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Those flares are screaming for 15x8 rims with 4.25" backspace... and maybe 31s with the SE/4.10 ratios.
View attachment 1925

Those flares are going away... The PO put them on, and I'm guessing that she had bigger tires and wheels that the stealership replaced with the stock Grizzlies and crappy tires.

Battle Damage.jpeg

Backed into a brush pile that had something a little more solid than expected in it while out hunting with oldest daughter. Oops! Ordering up a set of stock flares to replace the ones on there right now. Oh, and upgrading the backup lights. :)

Oh god... Those wheels need to come out much, much further!

Really thinking 16x8"s with 4.5" backspacing. 265/75R16 shoes. The wheels would be a hair wide for the tire size, but the backspacing and width would be about right for the eventual upgrade to 285/75R16's in the future. After suspension work.

Bank accounts are like women... they appreciate a lot of activity.

Really nice clean SE.
Best place to start... bone stock.

Isn't that the truth! I just had a scary thought...what if this is the last stock TJ on the Left Coast? What if she is actually a collectors item? Naahhh...

Really thinking 16x8"s with 4.5" backspacing. 265/75R16 shoes. The wheels would be a hair wide for the tire size, but the backspacing and width would be about right for the eventual upgrade to 285/75R16's in the future. After suspension work.

That should be right about flush with the fender flares which will look good!

That should be right about flush with the fender flares which will look good!

That's what I was thinking. I was also thinking that that wheel and tire combo would give me time to do the axle and suspension upgrades needed to support 33" tires. It will probably take a couple of years to get all of that done and by that time, the tires would have some wear on them.

I kind of wish that @Kevin E was more local, so I could get a picture of his Jeep next to mine...

I think that I need to call Dirk (?) at DPG and have a talk with him. I hear that he is a good guy, and really knowledgeable about that suspension system that you mentioned Chris. I'm betting that he could set me up with the correct spring rates for my Jeep and what I intend to do. Between the JSpec system (unknown quantity) and the DPG system (known quantity) it's probably a better bet to go DPG.

I kind of wish that @Kevin E was more local, so I could get a picture of his Jeep next to mine...

I think that I need to call Dirk (?) at DPG and have a talk with him. I hear that he is a good guy, and really knowledgeable about that suspension system that you mentioned Chris. I'm betting that he could set me up with the correct spring rates for my Jeep and what I intend to do. Between the JSpec system (unknown quantity) and the DPG system (known quantity) it's probably a better bet to go DPG.

Give him a buzz. He's a very nice and friendly guy who could definitely set you up with the right suspension and spring rates for your wants and needs!

Reactions: StG58
So, I've got the wheels and tires figured out... Now how do I make my existing Dana 30/Dana 35 axles live long enough to get the suspension work done, and the axle assemblies upgraded to HP Dana 30/Dana 44's? The axle assembly upgrade is probably two years out, realistically. Alloy axle shafts or grab a set of junkyard stock axels and the stuff to change them out?

The order of operation is currently looking like:
1) Lighting and communication upgrades
Backup light upgrade, driving lights, CB and mounts

2) Tires and Wheels
31" tires on 16" wheels

3) Suspension (phase 1)
Springs and shocks, body lift, MML

4) Axle upgrade
HP Dana 30, Dana 44, Selectable lockers, 4.88 gear ratio

5) Winch and bumpers / tire carrier
TBD

6) Suspension upgrade (phase 2)
TBD

7) Tire upgrade
33" tires

I have a feeling that brake upgrades and a SYE kit and Double Cardan drive shaft need to go in there as well.

Last edited:
So, I've got the wheels and tires figured out... Now how do I make my existing Dana 30/Dana 35 axles live long enough to get the suspension work done, and the axle assemblies upgraded to HP Dana 30/Dana 44's? The axle assembly upgrade is probably two years out, realistically. Alloy axle shafts or grab a set of junkyard stock axels and the stuff to change them out?

The order of operation is currently looking like:
1) Lighting and communication upgrades
Backup light upgrade, driving lights, CB and mounts

2) Tires and Wheels
31" tires on 16" wheels

3) Suspension (phase 1)
Springs and shocks, body lift, MML

4) Axle upgrade
HP Dana 30, Dana 44, Selectable lockers, 4.88 gear ratio

5) Winch and bumpers / tire carrier
TBD

6) Suspension upgrade (phase 2)
TBD

7) Tire upgrade
33" tires

I have a feeling that brake upgrades and a SYE kit and Double Cardan drive shaft need to go in there as well.

Your stock Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles will be just fine on 33" tires. Unless you're the type of guy (idiot) who beats the shit out of your rig and has no throttle control, you'll be just fine. If you plan on upgrading your axles do HP Dana 30 / Dana 44 axles, don't bother getting chromoly axle shafts or anything fancy for your current axles, as it will just be a waste of money.

I think you have the right order, and it's good to have a list. I agree with the list!

I'm usually pretty light on the skinny pedal.

Now to flesh out the list with details, make a time based plan and execute!

Did a little research on axle shaft and came across Dana / Spicer axles with a nickel / chrome / moly alloy. Interesting stuff. The literature was talking about a multi step heat treating process. Hardened core and a case hardening as well. That's got to be spendy. They don't make anything for the Dana 35, which tells you something right there. The literature had a picture of a TJ on the cover doing a little mild off road work.

Last edited:
I'm usually pretty light on the skinny pedal.

Now to flesh out the list with details, make a time based plan and execute!

Did a little research on axle shaft and came across Dana / Spicer axles with a nickel / chrome / moly alloy. Interesting stuff. The literature was talking about a multi step heat treating process. Hardened core and a case hardening as well. That's got to be spendy. They don't make anything for the Dana 35, which tells you something right there. The literature had a picture of a TJ on the cover doing a little mild off road work.

If you want the best axle shafts money can buy for your stock axles I wouldn't even consider anything other than Revolution Chromoly axles. In my opinion they're actually reasonably priced, and they're the only axle left that's made in the USA from what I understand.

They're the best and strongest shafts you'll get for your stock axles, I run them and LOVE them.

Anyways, that's just a suggestion if you want to upgrade shafts.

I've heard that the Revolution stuff is the best out there right now. If I end up building my own axles, it'll be with the Revolution gear sets and axle shafts. Reasonably priced as well. I was thinking of buying an off the shelf Dana 44, unless I can get one of my buddies to cough up a Dana 44 to build myself. (well, not the gear setup of course) One of the guys at work thinks he has a line on a HP Dana 30 that he can get for free. Kind of a "owes him a favor" thing. There is not a lot of difference between building an axle yourself and getting an off the shelf axle. Maybe $300 - $500 is all. If you start changing out axle tubes, that difference disappears entirely. If a deal falls in my lap it'll get built, otherwise it's off the shelf for the price difference. The build / buy decision is all about the total cost bolted under the Jeep. There is going to have to be a lot of horse trading and finagling to make this build happen.

That would be cool. Start a thread with some shots and I'll see how close I can get. Beach shots? We have sand in common. Our forests look different from yours. Dirt shots? We can come up with something.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk