A Perennial Work In Progress

Normally, I start the LJ once a month, pull it out of the garage, and drive it around for the weekend, including a small highway speed trip. However, life got in the way and this is the first time I've run it since July. I've kicked around the idea of selling it a few times, largely because I built it to wheel, but only use it 2 -3 times a year now. With current family obligations, I don't see that trend changing for at least the next 5 - 6 years. The only things that have kept me from doing so is that I know I'd want another at some point, this one is about as rust free as you'll find in my area, and has been very well cared for over the last nine years I've owned it.

Also, having wheeled it pretty hard over the last several years, I've come to realize that in the places I regularly wheel, 60 - 70% tight woods, a TJ would be much better suited. This in fact is one of the primary reasons I grossly overbuilt the TJ on 31" tires, thinking that someday it will make the jump to a 33" tire for wheeling purposes.

Now that I came across a deal I can't refuse, there is a relatively stock LJ inbound. If things work out, my plan would be to keep it close to stock and use that as my driver. The TJ would become the wheeler, but remain on 31" tires. Of course that depends on what I find when I start doing a thorough examination of the new purchase. In case you're thinking I'm crazy, which is possible, this is the normal status of the LJ, which has seen less than 2000 miles (It gets trailer-ed everywhere) in the last several years.

View attachment 279973

View attachment 279974
Oh man...If you sell, I might risk the wrath of my wife to buy it. Its one of my favs!

This one can officially be closed out now. The Jeep arrived at it's new owners home on Saturday. Although it technically was sold a couple weeks ago, I wasn't comfortable because the purchaser bought the vehicle unseen and had it transported West. Yes, lots of pictures were sent, but that isn't the same thing. After talking with him yesterday morning, he was very, very happy with what he received and I can relax, at least for now.

As was stated before, this Jeep was therapy for me during a rough part of my life, so it will definitely be missed. That said, I'll be watching it evolve, because there are some very good things coming in its future!

This one can officially be closed out now. The Jeep arrived at it's new owners home on Saturday. Although it technically was sold a couple weeks ago, I wasn't comfortable because the purchaser bought the vehicle unseen and had it transported West. Yes, lots of pictures were sent, but that isn't the same thing. After talking with him yesterday morning, he was very, very happy with what he received and I can relax, at least for now.

As was stated before, this Jeep was therapy for me during a rough part of my life, so it will definitely be missed. That said, I'll be watching it evolve, because there are some very good things coming in its future!
Is the new owner a member here?

I definitely understand the therapy side. My blue one was that for me, divorce and passing of my father. The red one is the I'm mostly past that, I know more, let's go crazy, BOCO (Buy Once Cry Once) build.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Is the new owner a member here?

I definitely understand the therapy side. My blue one was that for me, divorce and passing of my father. The red one is the I'm mostly past that, I know more, let's go crazy, BOCO (Buy Once Cry Once) build.
I don't believe the new owner is a member here. The sale was however facilitated by a forum member.

I don't believe the new owner is a member here. The sale was however facilitated by a forum member.

Maybe you can convince the new owner to join and share with us where he/she takes the continued build of your LJ. Hopefully they wouldn't feel intimidated because of the large love of Metal Cloak around here.