A Perennial Work In Progress

The lights came in and I had a chance to fit them. I'm not overly thrilled with the brushed nickel look, but the light output is much better than the stock incandescent bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075447DNV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 213946

They were a little smaller than I'd like, with parts of the existing drilled holes showing in the overhead pod, when the lights were installed. To fix this issue I used some heavy black material I had and cut out two circles, which added about 1/4" to the outside of the new lights.
View attachment 213947
View attachment 213948

Once I had them cut out, I installed both in the pod housing to test the fit. I also attached the lights to a 12v power supply and let them burn for 15 minutes. There was no noticeable heat, and all was good!

View attachment 213949
View attachment 213950

Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade, which:
- reduced electrical load
- improved light output
- significantly reduced light heat and
- was a very easy upgrade

Ideally, the lights would be a little bigger, but this wasn't a big issue. Time will tell if they last!
Looking at the link I think they are actually 3" diameter, which is why you have the gap. Same company does one that is 3.5" diameter, but it is deeper, at 1". They also do a 3" diameter with a black bezel which is 3/4" deep. Do you recall roughly what the max depth is you can get in there?

Normally, I start the LJ once a month, pull it out of the garage, and drive it around for the weekend, including a small highway speed trip. However, life got in the way and this is the first time I've run it since July. I've kicked around the idea of selling it a few times, largely because I built it to wheel, but only use it 2 -3 times a year now. With current family obligations, I don't see that trend changing for at least the next 5 - 6 years. The only things that have kept me from doing so is that I know I'd want another at some point, this one is about as rust free as you'll find in my area, and has been very well cared for over the last nine years I've owned it.

Also, having wheeled it pretty hard over the last several years, I've come to realize that in the places I regularly wheel, 60 - 70% tight woods, a TJ would be much better suited. This in fact is one of the primary reasons I grossly overbuilt the TJ on 31" tires, thinking that someday it will make the jump to a 33" tire for wheeling purposes.

Now that I came across a deal I can't refuse, there is a relatively stock LJ inbound. If things work out, my plan would be to keep it close to stock and use that as my driver. The TJ would become the wheeler, but remain on 31" tires. Of course that depends on what I find when I start doing a thorough examination of the new purchase. In case you're thinking I'm crazy, which is possible, this is the normal status of the LJ, which has seen less than 2000 miles (It gets trailer-ed everywhere) in the last several years.

20210928_103153.jpg

20210928_102817.jpg

Normally, I start the LJ once a month, pull it out of the garage, and drive it around for the weekend, including a small highway speed trip. However, life got in the way and this is the first time I've run it since July. I've kicked around the idea of selling it a few times, largely because I built it to wheel, but only use it 2 -3 times a year now. With current family obligations, I don't see that trend changing for at least the next 5 - 6 years. The only things that have kept me from doing so is that I know I'd want another at some point, this one is about as rust free as you'll find in my area, and has been very well cared for over the last nine years I've owned it.

Also, having wheeled it pretty hard over the last several years, I've come to realize that in the places I regularly wheel, 60 - 70% tight woods, a TJ would be much better suited. This in fact is one of the primary reasons I grossly overbuilt the TJ on 31" tires, thinking that someday it will make the jump to a 33" tire for wheeling purposes.

Now that I came across a deal I can't refuse, there is a relatively stock LJ inbound. If things work out, my plan would be to keep it close to stock and use that as my driver. The TJ would become the wheeler, but remain on 31" tires. Of course that depends on what I find when I start doing a thorough examination of the new purchase. In case you're thinking I'm crazy, which is possible, this is the normal status of the LJ, which has seen less than 2000 miles (It gets trailer-ed everywhere) in the last several years.

View attachment 279973

View attachment 279974
I've always thought that was a beautiful LJ, still do!

Reactions: Irun and Alex01
I know the feeling. I have been building the LJ I have for mostly street duty since my TJ is only used on the trails and gets trailered as well. I find that the TJ is well suited for the tight east coast woods trails.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and Irun
I know the feeling. I have been building the LJ I have for mostly street duty since my TJ is only used on the trails and gets trailered as well. I find that the TJ is well suited for the tight east coast woods trails.
Very true! There are only a few times where having an LJ is to my advantage. Specifically, when doing long steep hill climbs and descents. The majority of the time it's a liability. With the TJ I don't have to make frequent multi-point turns in the woods. Also, in those tight wood trails, with rocks, the break-over angle of the TJ can't be beaten! ;)

Reactions: Wildman
The more I think about this I should have just sold the LJ and bought the Jeep @Chris was selling. Since he did the automatic conversion, it had everything I would have wanted, and more! ;)

The more I think about this I should have just sold the LJ and bought the Jeep @Chris was selling. Since he did the automatic conversion, it had everything I would have wanted, and more! ;)
I know, I’ve looked at the ad and I’d have to sell both jeeps to get into that one and get it over here from AR.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
No, I ended up keeping it. I just can’t bare to sell it. I know for sure I’ll regret it.
Good call! If you change your mind, let me know. I've come to realize that if I was going to have one Jeep, for my wheeling area, this would be it. If I was out west, it would be an LJ equivalent!

Good. You certainly would regret letting it go.

Yes, it took a while for me to realize that, but you're right. I'd be kicking myself a week later.

Good call! If you change your mind, let me know. I've come to realize that if I was going to have one Jeep, for my wheeling area, this would be it. If I was out west, it would be an LJ equivalent!

Will do! You know just as well as most of us how much it actually costs to build one of these things. Then I think about an Unlimited with coilovers, 37s, and Dana 60s and you could easily add another 30-40k to the cost if you used top shelf parts. I mean one of those Dana 60 RockJock axles alone is around $10,000 I believe.

You know just as well as most of us how much it actually costs to build one of these things.
I also know that it's not just about the parts. The same parts can be installed by anyone. However, they won't be installed the same by all. Those that do it correctly are in the minority. Thankfully, yours falls into that group! ;)

I also know that it's not just about the parts. The same parts can be installed by anyone. However, they won't be installed the same by all. Those that do it correctly are in the minority. Thankfully, yours falls into that group! ;)

Right indeed!

Believe me, I learned a lot from my previous mid-arm / outboard build that that shop in Salem, Oregon royally fucked up. It's very, very hard to find people that build these things right.

Yes, it took a while for me to realize that, but you're right. I'd be kicking myself a week later.

Will do! You know just as well as most of us how much it actually costs to build one of these things. Then I think about an Unlimited with coilovers, 37s, and Dana 60s and you could easily add another 30-40k to the cost if you used top shelf parts. I mean one of those Dana 60 RockJock axles alone is around $10,000 I believe.
Pretty close on that price.

Keep it! Rausch, AOAA and even Gore are all seeing trail widening every year now that JK, JL and Gladiators are out roaming. I switched to the LJ platform last year coming from a solid axle Xtra cab pickup at 128" wheelbase. This LJ is so nimble compared to what I'm use to. The wheel base definitely helps on climbs too.

Also bring one of them to an Oak Ridge event! It's a good time if you haven't been before.

Keep it! Rausch, AOAA and even Gore are all seeing trail widening every year now that JK, JL and Gladiators are out roaming. I switched to the LJ platform last year coming from a solid axle Xtra cab pickup at 128" wheelbase. This LJ is so nimble compared to what I'm use to. The wheel base definitely helps on climbs too.

Also bring one of them to an Oak Ridge event! It's a good time if you haven't been before.
I've wanted to do Oak Ridge, but can never seem to sign up in time! :(

I've wanted to do Oak Ridge, but can never seem to sign up in time! :(
Ah man the last event, the VA4WDA annual in September didn't sell out. The one in April sells out immediately, Wheeling 4 Hope. It's more of a trail ride in the woods to obstacles not so much like the PA parks where the entire trail or rock garden is an obstacle. If that makes sense. They use to do camp jeep there in the early 2000's.

It can get really muddy though if it rains. I almost filled up a 5 gallon bucket of what I washed off my jeep onto the trailer.

FB_IMG_1632857365815.jpg