A Perennial Work In Progress

Packed up the Jeep for several days of wheeling. Bottom container has fluids, middle has tools, extraction gear, electrical, and extra parts. Top has u joints, tire puncture kit, extra nuts and bolts, and a few special tools..

Total weight in the containers is 135 lbs. I have an additional tool bag that weighs 30 lbs. Once strapped in I have plenty of room for a cooler, soft windows rolled up, and upper windows.

Also did some cleaning and checking things under the hood.

20210620_170208.jpg

20210620_165826.jpg

20210620_172738.jpg

20210620_172830.jpg

20210620_170315.jpg

I've had Bartact seat covers for the last 6+ years. When I originally installed them I didn't know about the option for lumbar support, so I've done without. No more though, and they are installed. Super easy install and once I sat back in the Jeep, it was like having new seats! (y)

20210621_180648.jpg

20210621_175450.jpg

20210621_180510.jpg

I spent 2 1/2 days wheeling at Rausch Creek and, overall, I'm very happy with where the Jeep is now. Upon returning, I did an inspection of the vehicle, looking for a squeak that sounded like I was being followed by a flock of singing birds. As it turns out, the culprit is a set of rear swaybar links I made with heim joints and all thread. After applying some dry lubricant the squeak went away. However, it's clear a cheap heim joint was not the right choice! :(

I also discovered a bad front u joint, which was the sound of a very minor clunk I kept hearing. Additionally, I need to find a solution for the low hanging frame side lower control arm mounts. I'm consistently hitting them hard, causing small amounts of damage to the mounts.

I definitely do! Had a chance to use them and the Weigh Safe hitch for the fist time. The straps are 100% USA quality and the direct hook option made it much easier to tie the Jeep down.

20210623_161411.jpg

20210623_161443.jpg

Reactions: Irun
So how do you like the hitch and how does the trailer pull?
I was hesitant to spend the money on one of these, but it was a smart decision to do so. The previous setup I was using, all steel, only had a max tow rating of 7,000 lbs. The all aluminum Weigh Safe is rated at 12,500 pounds, which is in excess of my 11,400 lb 1/2 ton truck tow capacity. The hitch also weighs the same as the old steel one, but the height adjust-ability and swapping balls couldn't be any easier.

To be honest, the tongue weight gauge doesn't seem accurate at lower weights. I tried playing around with vehicle placement on the trailer and the gauge would jump from 150 lbs to 500+ very quickly. Eventually, I was able to get it to read just under 500 lbs and the trailer towed better than it ever has.

Bottom line, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Weigh Safe hitches. Similar to the decision to buy an aluminum trailer, this purchase was one I don't regret. It's safer, easier to use, Made In USA quality, and takes the guess work out of where to put the weight on the trailer! 🇺🇸 (y)

I was hesitant to spend the money on one of these, but it was a smart decision to do so. The previous setup I was using, all steel, only had a max tow rating of 7,000 lbs. The all aluminum Weigh Safe is rated at 12,500 pounds, which is in excess of my 11,400 lb 1/2 ton truck tow capacity. The hitch also weighs the same as the old steel one, but the height adjust-ability and swapping balls couldn't be any easier.

To be honest, the tongue weight gauge doesn't seem accurate at lower weights. I tried playing around with vehicle placement on the trailer and the gauge would jump from 150 lbs to 500+ very quickly. Eventually, I was able to get it to read just under 500 lbs and the trailer towed better than it ever has.

Bottom line, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Weigh Safe hitches. Similar to the decision to buy an aluminum trailer, this purchase was one I don't regret. It's safer, easier to use, Made In USA quality, and takes the guess work out of where to put the weight on the trailer! 🇺🇸 (y)
I've had the same hitch for over a year now. It's awesome but I bought it knowing that gauge is crap. Mine hasn't worked correct since I bought it. I flip the ball around under the hitch when not towing so I don't hit my shin on it.

From Weigh Safe -

MY GAUGE IS NOT READING ACCURATELY?
It is important to know that “zero” is anywhere between 0 and 100 pounds. There is a dampener built into the gauge to protect it from spiking any time you go over large bumps or dips. With that being said, light-weight trailers and lighter loads with only a few hundred pounds (below 300lbs) will sometimes take a couple minutes to read the correct weight. Heavier loads (over 500lbs) will take the gauge less time to read the correct weight.

** Standing on your hitch is not an accurate way of testing the gauge

Reactions: Irun