A Perennial Work In Progress

After making the comment above, I sent a follow up email to Savvy. I received a reply less than 15 minutes later. Hopefully my experience 5 weeks ago was a one-off event.

I've had good experiences contacting them. However during events like KOH and EasterJeep Safari they tend to be out on the trails. At least that's what I've experienced.

Reactions: dlm1450
I went with the 2" drop, or Extra-Clearance version. It has held up incredibly well over the years. However, thanks to a great friend, I have a Savvy Under Armor set that will be replacing the UCF skid. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with the UCF skid. I had the Savvy setup on a previous Jeep and really liked the design. That said, the UCF Extra clearance skid was a simple bolt on.

The Savvy was not, but the results were worth it. I ended up with around 18" of Savvy skid clearance with 33" tires on my TJ . By comparison, my LJ, with the UCF Extra-Clearance skid, had 17" of clearance on 35" tires. My guess is that if I would have run the UCF Ultra-Clearance the numbers would be closer.
Just got confirmation today that my savvy tc skid on back order is ready for shipment. So, I'll be taking my UCF extra clearance off and installing savvy. The recent bout I had with replacing my nutserts had me reconsidering the accessibility ease with the Savvy Under Armor, just enough so to push me over the edge to buy it even though the UCF was working just fine as protection. I'm so excited!

Screenshot_20200225-155649.png

Screenshot_20200225-155706.png

Reactions: Irun and Alex01
Just got confirmation today that my savvy tc skid on back order is ready for shipment. So, I'll be taking my UCF extra clearance off and installing savvy. The recent bout I had with replacing my nutserts had me reconsidering the accessibility ease with the Savvy Under Armor, just enough so to push me over the edge to buy it even though the UCF was working just fine as protection. I'm so excited!

You'll likely get to yours before I do, so keep me posted Jason! When I did one on a TJ it was a major pain to get the exhaust to fit right. I had it apart at least three times. When it was done, it was super nice though!

vaPUHah.jpg

BF7fUAl.jpg

dTAqeP9.jpg

Reactions: Irun
After a pause, I'm back on task. This past Summer I started having some issues with the stock steering box. A PSC Ram Assist system was ordered and has been sitting in the garage for a while now. Today, I began the task of making the upgrade. I pulled apart the front end to make the job easier, while also allowing me to do some clean up work.

S9QX6gG.jpg

After a couple hours, I had the stock box out and sitting on the floor. The toughest part of the job was separating the steering shaft from the sector shaft.

CMlbDRp.jpg

As part of the process I plan to install a M.O.R.E. 1" steering riser. When removing the steering pillow block, this is what I found! It's not the first time I've seen this and it's a part that most people don't even know needs maintenance, i.e. greasing the bearing.

U6qlPOm.jpg

rLU6SIy.jpg

In case you're wondering what the PSC box looks like in comparison to the stock '03 to '06 Mercedes box, here you go!

5jxIfQl.jpg

vUKnq8U.jpg

BdevYyc.jpg

There is clean up and painting to do before the final install of the new box, but I did a quick test fit to make sure there were no obvious issues. The only potential problem I see so far is my steering box skid won't work with the new box. I'm going to have to do some modifications to the skid to make it work, but the new box sure does look nice sitting where the old one was!

EJs4usJ.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to painting and installing the new UCF ultra clearance bumper. It can't be used with the factory swaybar and requires the use of Currie Antirock, or something similar. The reason I purchased it, and compromised on weight (It's steel vs my previous UCF aluminum), is the following:

1. Compact and lightweight design (for steel)
2. Welded hoop vs bolt on
3. Welded 3/4" integrated D rings mounts
4. Slight improvement on approach angle

In the process, I un-wound the winch rope and washed it. I also cleaned and waxed my now 10 year old Superwinch.

gG1Bkhw.jpg

THPNMW6.jpg

qe5eH3w.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking Jeep! Awesome looking bumper too. I just got the Aluminum version, gonna start prep on it today.

View attachment 158524

Awesome looking bumper and I'll be curious what you think of it once you're done. I looked at this one a long time before pulling the trigger on steel. Especially, because there's a 26lb weight difference between the two. The only reason I went steel was I wanted the integrated hoop and d-ring mounts. These weren't available on the aluminum version.

Reactions: DuncLJ
With the aluminum bumper can you add a winch guard?
I see no reason why not. You would have to drill another hole in the bumper to catch the forward mount hole in the frame. That hole is unused to mount the bumper.
I plan to mock things up, install the winch, and then check clearances. If it all looks good, I'll put this on.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Awesome looking bumper and I'll be curious what you think of it once you're done. I looked at this one a long time before pulling the trigger on steel. Especially, because there's a 26lb weight difference between the two. The only reason I went steel was I wanted the integrated hoop and d-ring mounts. These weren't available on the aluminum version.
I must have changed my mind 4-5 different times between this bumper, yours, and the old UCF you used to have.
I finally just stabbed and got this one. I'll add some hooks, and probably the hoop. Hope it all looks as good as yours.
You really did a nice job with the paint and finishes.

Reactions: Irun
After installing the PSC system back in March/April, I finally got a chance to try it out at Rausch Creek this past week. Even without the cylinder assist installed the system performed flawlessly on the rocks with 35" tires. All the previous steering fading and moans and groans were gone. There were zero leaks and, for once, no regrets for spending a significant chunk of change for the upgrade.

A special thanks to @mrblaine for providing the simple guidance below.

When doing the install, use:
  • -12AN feed line to the pump
  • -8AN return line
  • -8AN 16" Single Pass heat sink cooler
This, along with advice to keep the feed line as straight and short as possible, resulted in something that worked exactly like you expected it would for that kind of money!

After the install, I was also happy that the Savvy steering box skid, mated to a UCF ultra clearance bumper, could be installed without modifications needed. To finish this up, I'll be moving the PSC Anti-splash vent up higher on the firewall.

HsEbwTw.jpg

DnIfI6R.jpg

Last edited:
After installing the PSC system back in March/April, I finally got a chance to try it out at Rausch Creek this past week. Even without the cylinder assist installed the system performed flawlessly on the rocks with 35" tires. All the previous steering fading and moans and groans were gone. There were zero leaks and, for once, no regrets for spending a significant chunk of change for the upgrade.

A special thanks to @mrblaine for providing the simple guidance below.

When doing the install, use:
  • -12AN feed line to the pump
  • -8AN return line
  • -8AN 16" Single Pass heat sink cooler
This, along with advice to keep the feed line as straight and short as possible, resulted in something that worked exactly like you expected it would for that kind of money!

After the install, I was also happy that the Savvy steering box skid, mated to a UCF ultra clearance bumper, could be installed without modifications needed. To finish this up, I'll be moving the PSC Anti-splash vent up higher on the firewall.

View attachment 173383

View attachment 173384
My current steering box is on its way out. Been thinking about this upgrade. Does it come as a complete kit, or do you need to buy more than the 800 dollar steering box...