Blaine's an asshole (safe space)

Is Blaine an asshole

• Total voters
When I worked building custom homes we did one in Laguna up on the bluff for the Goldstone family. On the road up, there was another being built. We'd stop and chat from time to time and learned it was being built by one very nice German fellow who was an architect. He related that in Germany if you want to be an architect, you have to go get experience building the types of stuff you want to design. I've always thought that was an awesome way to do things.
i've suggested the new guys spend at least a month on the floor every day. learn what we do and what tools we have to do it with. when i started engineers had to come down answer for a mistake and go correct it or come up with a solution. now you might see an engineer once a wk on the floor, and they just copy and paste shit prints all day long.

TBH IDK how we are keepin the lights on with the amount of rework due to poor engineering, the shop joke is, your not done until you cut it apart 3x. i hate watchin the walls melt away.

Reactions: B00mb00m and Irun
When I worked building custom homes we did one in Laguna up on the bluff for the Goldstone family. On the road up, there was another being built. We'd stop and chat from time to time and learned it was being built by one very nice German fellow who was an architect. He related that in Germany if you want to be an architect, you have to go get experience building the types of stuff you want to design. I've always thought that was an awesome way to do things.
About the time I was graduating with my Undergrad, Michigan Tech was experimenting with something called "enterprise" classes. We had always had the Project stuff (formula SAE, Minibaja, Future Truck, etc) which were all extra curricular. Since the guys (and a couple gals) that participated in those activities seemed to get higher praise and better job offers than those that didn't, the lightbulb went off. They started a junior and senior program, for credit, that paired you with a participating corporation to complete some sort or real life design exercise, up to and including building a prototype. I haven't paid a lot of attention since I left 20'ish years ago, but I guess its been a tremendous success.

Reactions: Irun
Don't worry Dorothy, You would get sent right to Kansas. Not all Canadians are nice, the one typing is very capable in a ring. I have spend months of my life in one, second by second. This Canadian could most certainly kill you will his bare hands and in very short order. If the situation called for it. It would be nice if I was joking but it turns out I am serious.
It wasn't a "hey, can ya'll please not do that?" complaint, he was belligerent, upset, and getting on mine and Kat's ass in a very "ya'll fucked up my stuff" manner. Hey, not a problem, we got this.
Actually, that’s more of an asshole…

The pronoun thing alone is proof of that 😆

Just passed in Corvallis with a 67% yes vote:

"CHARTER AMENDMENT: REMOVE GENDER SPECIFIC PRONOUNS THROUGHOUT THE CITY CHARTER (Measure 02-133)

Caption: Amendment to Remove Gender Specific Pronouns throughout the City Charter

Question: Shall the City Charter be amended to remove gender specific and binary pronouns?

Summary: If the voters approve this amendment, gender specific and binary pronouns throughout the Corvallis City Charter would be removed, without changing the meaning of the amended Charter provisions. When possible, gender specific and binary pronouns would be replaced with the noun, title or position from the same sentence, paragraph or section. Where using a pronoun is necessary, the pronouns “they” or “their” are used as the singular non-gender specific pronoun."

• Face Palm
Reactions: Blackjack and Chris
Just passed in Corvallis with a 67% yes vote:

"CHARTER AMENDMENT: REMOVE GENDER SPECIFIC PRONOUNS THROUGHOUT THE CITY CHARTER (Measure 02-133)

Caption: Amendment to Remove Gender Specific Pronouns throughout the City Charter

Question: Shall the City Charter be amended to remove gender specific and binary pronouns?

Summary: If the voters approve this amendment, gender specific and binary pronouns throughout the Corvallis City Charter would be removed, without changing the meaning of the amended Charter provisions. When possible, gender specific and binary pronouns would be replaced with the noun, title or position from the same sentence, paragraph or section. Where using a pronoun is necessary, the pronouns “they” or “their” are used as the singular non-gender specific pronoun."
I should be alarmed that it passed with 67%. However, I’m not surprised. These people are truly a special kind of stupid.

Reactions: 5632
Oh, does this remind me of a story from many years back. We had a "Jonathan {name redacted, but I've never forgotten it}" as a summer intern at the computer company I worked for at the time. He was from Cal Poly and was a COMPLETE idiot. I recollect one time he was drilling a hole in an aluminum panel on a bench behind me. The drill ran and ran and ran - "Man, this bit sure is dull!". There certainly was dullness involved, but it wasn't the bit. I finally turned around to look and you guessed it! The drill was running backwards! He had actually managed to drill about halfway through by that point. There was lots more.

Cal Poly wasn't exactly well thought of in my neck of the woods, I encountered two others in my time who either had, or were, attending that school. One of them was OK - intelligent and knew what he was doing. The other may or may not have been a competent engineer - I didn't encounter him professionally - but was a complete jerk. Not an asshole - that would be an insult to assholes everywhere. Mentally abused his wife, was NOT fun to be around, thought his shit didn't stink, acted like an idiot, was an "askhole", etc, etc, etc. Eventually had to get him out of our lives, and good riddance. Funny thing was he worked for the same computer company that I did, but after I had left. We felt sorry for his wife, she was a sweetheart. He ended up blowing an aneurism, and was EXTREEEEEEEEMLY lucky that he was in the right place at the right time, there was an excellent hospital very close nearby - otherwise he would have died in minutes. We hoped that the experience would give him some wisdom. Nope, he went right on being a jerk - didn't learn a damn thing. I hope he figures it out one day, as he was quite intelligent. But in the meantime, "May the Goddess Bless and keep him.... .... far away from me!" Oh, forgot to mention. He was a professional student for 8 years, had two degrees. His father finally kicked him in the ass and told him to get a job!
Yowza. Don't hold back now. Sounds like the work of Cal Poly POMONA!!

Yes that truly is the best way, the career field isn't set up like that in the US, probably a side effect of too much mobility in careers. People are constantly changing their interest and I feel like thats leads us to a bunch of generalists.

There are days when that really takes the fun out of things. I've tried to interact with most of the folk in a 3-4 block radius and then support any that are on FB offering various services that I can use. Across the board they have all been terrible.

Right off the bat they think I am filthy rich and that gives them the right to way overcharge. Then they don't show up when they are supposed to, don't do a good job, and then wonder why I'm pissy.

There have been several who I have saved metal for, collected cans and bottles for so they could recycle and get paid. All that has done is make them grumpy with me because I didn't do it right. They can all fuck off, now I just throw it all away.

We gave 6-10 large contractor size plastic trash bags full of aluminum cans to the gent up the road who was struggling some and had asked us to save them. Kat tossed some wadded up aluminum foil in the bags since we did not know any different. He made it a point to stop by on the way back from collecting his money to tell us we fucked up and to not do it again. Not a problem, sorry about that, we will never save another single aluminum can, there, all better now?

Neighbor up around the corner has stopped by to have me patch together various completely worn out cheap metal rocking chairs they use on the porch and the seat bases in the broken down 80's El Camino. I'd done it about 10 times or so. I finally promised myself I would not touch anything else he owns until he did something for me. Pull a weed, sweep the driveway, grab a few bags of stuff out of the haul off pile on his way to the dump, something, anything. Nope, not once ever.
I'm reminded of quote that I read a while ago that stuck with me ..

"If you are a giver, learn and remember your limits - because the takers don't have any"

After reading all the complaints about shitty people/neighbors I have to say living in southern Louisiana does have some perks. People here, in general, will give you the shirts of their backs, are very friendly, and love a good time.

The valley I live in is full of fucktards. I don't want to be friends with any of them but my one good neighbor.
I’m pretty sure you would fit in great in the lower parishes of Louisiana. I swear we have an entire parish of MrBlaines called
St. Bernard.

(Parishes are Louisiana’s counties)

• USA Proud
Reactions: Tob and 5632
Thats exactly what should be required. Especially if you want to be an automotive engineer.

Reactions: Tob and Zorba

That really needs to be made mandatory in many industries.

Reactions: Zorba
I'm confused? Is being an Asshole a "Bad Thing"?
Maybe Blaine should make up some of these stickers just to give full disclosure!

49011.jpg

51348.jpg

That really needs to be made mandatory in many industries.
Back when I was running a shop and moving people up through the ranks, I tried to give first priority to the crew doing the hands on work when opportunities for advancement came up. And I made a point of keeping the project managers involved with the field work so they wouldn't forget what it was like. Most of my staff was cross trained pretty well and I think we were all better off because of it.

Back when I was running a shop and moving people up through the ranks, I tried to give first priority to the crew doing the hands on work when opportunities for advancement came up. And I made a point of keeping the project managers involved with the field work so they wouldn't forget what it was like. Most of my staff was cross trained pretty well and I think we were all better off because of it.

We have a management "crisis" at work of sorts and I think this is common across multiple industries. The best managers are the ones that have actually done the work of the engineers they manage, really understand the difficulties/details and tethered to reality when it comes to giving out deadline commits and such. When they "cross appoint" people who have been managers for a while but with no relevant experience to the group they are assigned to manage, it really creates a lot of chaos and inefficiency. Some people pick things up quickly but many don't. Sadly, given how few engineers want to be managers (or can be good at managing if given the opportunity), things get really messy. The other problem that is there is the enormous knowledge gap that gets created when experienced people quit or move and someone gets to pick up the pieces and just get back to the previous normalcy. I have been really pushing my immediate management to address these fundamental issues and it's crazy how hard it is to get upper management to understand these things.

edit: LOL at your avatar tagline :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited: