Does control arm bushing composition affect ride quality or NVH?

astjp2

TJ Addict
Aug 22, 2018
Utah and Alaska
That thread is not indicative of how a JJ typically performs.
After working on helicopters in the army for 8 years, all joints that are not pure rubber can do that fairly quickly when they decide to go...that is why I am looking at the synergy bushings. They are the closest to a rubber impregnated, multi layer lord mount that I have found in the auto industry. Tim

mrblaine

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
After working on helicopters in the army for 8 years, all joints that are not pure rubber can do that fairly quickly when they decide to go...that is why I am looking at the synergy bushings. They are the closest to a rubber impregnated, multi layer lord mount that I have found in the auto industry. Tim
You are a bit confused as to what you are seeing. That is the aftermath of him taking a ball joint press to the ball and shoving it through the washers, hardened ones at that, which retain the urethane races and the ball. That pic should only be used to define ignorance of a system and how it is supposed to be disassembled.

The reason that the joint was loose is very likely due the ignorance of the fabricator who welded it in place without removing the urethane races. We see it all the time.

You will not regret the use of any JJ in a suspension application regardless of anything others may try to convince you of. I have been running them personally since about 2000 and have installed hundreds of them. Since I am on the hook for any issues that generally show up with components I use and install, I tend to be very careful in what I select. I have never regretted the use of JJ's in any of my builds. Nor have we regretted the use of them in any of the race cars they have been used in.

Reactions: fuse and Chris

mrblaine

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
Wouldn't you be concerned about the jj's putting additional strain on the Synergy joints? jj's don't return to center, so they could potentially leave the Synergy joint in a constant state of misalignment, thus creating potential premature wear. Now, if the Synergy joint has enough muscle to bring the jj's back in line, I guess it would be doable. Just a thought. I could be way off base.
Way off base as in almost in the next state over.

mrblaine

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
Yes, that was the issue with the Duroflex joints and using a jj at the other end. the durometer is just too soft to allow any fight back of a jj when misaligned. Like I said, I could be way off base here. I used to run Currie arms up front, and a jj will be where it wants to be. As an example, notice my driver side lower arm and where the jj is misaligned at. that is sitting in a level parking lot at work during a normal commute to work.
View attachment 67809
I've had those Currie arms on a bench vise before, and I can tell you it takes some effort to misalign a jj. Having a different joint at the other end that wants to self center would take said joint some muscle to bring the jj back to its center, IMO. Is a Synergy joint up to the task?
Lube them with the Redline Red Moly and you can almost rotate the ball with your fingers.

Reactions: bobthetj03

mrblaine

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
And they do definitely lay it on too. Our product is so good it only works with our product. My favorite is this
we made an upgrade without really saying why.
They actually said why on here. We did it because KEVLAR!!!!! We don't know if it helps, we don't think it hurts, and it doesn't cost you any more, so buy our stuff. Said by Matsun if you can find it. It would be helpful if folks understand that the Kevlar used in tires is in the form of the belts and the Kevlar in bushings is ground up fiber.

1547526267606.png

Reactions: Blackjack

jjvw

0-60 in 18 seconds
Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2018
Colorado, USA
If the Kevlar fuzz is there to add reenforcement to the bushing material, was there a problem that needed to be addressed?

Fargo

TJ Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Mr Blaine, care to share any insight as to how the Synergy bushings are performing in your wifes Jeep? Are they still in there? They should have some miles on them by now. Thanks for your insight.

mrblaine

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
Mr Blaine, care to share any insight as to how the Synergy bushings are performing in your wifes Jeep? Are they still in there? They should have some miles on them by now. Thanks for your insight.
They are good so far. Not her Jeep but the test mule. I don't wheel it enough to find out that aspect but the rest is excellent.

Fargo

TJ Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Mr Blaine, one last thing. Since Syngery doesn't seem to have a DDB bushing for that location, what would you recoommend if I was to go with the DDB bushing instead of a JJ system? Would you put in new Clevite or JJ at the axle? Thank you

Blackjack

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2018
Kenai
Mr Blaine, one last thing. Since Syngery doesn't seem to have a DDB bushing for that location, what would you recoommend if I was to go with the DDB bushing instead of a JJ system? Would you put in new Clevite or JJ at the axle? Thank you
I am going with JJs as you only install the main bushing bodies once vs pushing them in each time you need to service them. To me that makes more sense than risking messing up the housing or passenger side bracket. Synergy used DDBs with JJs in some of their arms when they were first introduced so centering is really not an issue or they would not have done it.

rraulston

TJ Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2018
Sahuarita, AZ
Ok, here it is. Discuss. Set your butt dynos aside and lets see if we can find some real data and not just observations.
After spending hundreds getting rid of my RE super flex control arms and going 100% rubber joints, All rubber joints on my new track bars, rubber in my shocks, my ride is smooth and has less felt vibrations, to me. I am more of a fan of rubber than poly.....

Reactions: fuse