It just happened!

Before I get beat up on for the body mount rocker guards, they will eventually get replaced with Savvy LJ sliders. For the time being, my wife needs a step to more easily enter and exit the cabin. ;)

In your defense, I put them on there for the exact same reason with my kids. They are perfect for that.

Reactions: Irun
Before I get beat up on for the body mount rocker guards, they will eventually get replaced with Savvy LJ sliders. For the time being, my wife needs a step to more easily enter and exit the cabin. ;)
You would have gotten away with it if you didn't mention it. Now I had to go back up and look. Lol!

I just want to say from a first time jeep and LJ owner I have really enjoyed reading your build, I will be following. I really need more time and more money!!

I just want to say from a first time jeep and LJ owner I have really enjoyed reading your build, I will be following. I really need more time and more money!!
Thanks! A need for more time and money is a universal problem in the Jeep world! (y) ;)

Reactions: Wildman and SvtLdr
After 2 weeks of daily driving the Jeep, I'm starting to get familiar with its mannerisms. One thing in particular is a little unsettling for me, i.e. the ride. The vehicle has what I'd describe as a "floating" ride, which is similar to cruising in a 60's era full size car. Also, when going into turns, there is considerable body roll, coupled with a sensation that the Jeep wants to shift sideways. The steering is all new and feels fine, so it's clear the suspension is the culprit.

That said, the current suspension is exactly as I bought it. New 2" springs front and rear, along with a 3/4" front spacer. Jeff told me the springs are new BDS, but I'm having a hard time validating the part numbers. When I search on the springs, Pro Comp gets identified as a partial part number match. The shocks are also new. Those are Rubicon Express, which I understand are Bilstein 5100s.

Other parts in the mix are stock control arms and rear track bar (with 100K on them), and a new JKS front track bar. I'm at a little bit of a loss on where to start here, but I only want to change one thing a time, to know what the impact is. If it helps, no substantial weight has been added, but it does have a hard top and full doors. Thoughts anyone?

Rear Springs
20220109_173342.jpg

Front Springs
20220109_173430.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
After 2 weeks of daily driving the Jeep, I'm starting to get familiar with its mannerisms. One thing in particular is a little unsettling for me, i.e. the ride. The vehicle has what I'd describe as a "floating" ride, which is similar to cruising in a 60's era full size car. Also, when going into turns, there is considerable body roll, coupled with a sensation that the Jeep wants to shift sideways. The steering is all new and feels fine, so it's clear the suspension is the culprit.

That said, the current suspension is exactly as I bought it. New 2" springs front and rear, along with a 3/4" front spacer. Jeff told me the springs are new BDS, but I'm having a hard time validating the part numbers. When I search on the springs, Pro Comp gets identified as a partial part number match. The shocks are also new. Those are Rubicon Express, which I understand are Bilstein 5100s.

Other parts in the mix are stock control arms and rear track bar (with 100K on them), and a new JKS front track bar. I'm at a little bit of a loss on where to start here, but I only want to change one thing a time, to know what the impact is. If it helps, no substantial weight has been added, but it does have a hard top and full doors. Thoughts anyone?

Rear Springs
View attachment 305184

Front Springs
View attachment 305185
My first thought when you describe the "floating ride" is shocks. But that's not how you typically hear Blilsteins described on our TJ's.

Possibly tires? Sidewall construction and/ or pressure?

My first thought when you describe the "floating ride" is shocks. But that's not how you typically hear Blilsteins described on our TJ's.

Possibly tires? Sidewall construction and/ or pressure?
Having run Bilsteins, my thoughts exactly there. I didn't check the tire pressure yet and should have thought about that one. Will validate that tomorrow. FWIW, tires are Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires 265/75R16 (C Rated).

Reactions: SvtLdr
Having run Bilsteins, my thoughts exactly there. I didn't check the tire pressure yet and should have thought about that one. Will validate that tomorrow. FWIW, tires are Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires 265/75R16 (C Rated).
You could try a cheap set of Monroes to see if the Bilsteins are contributing?

You could try a cheap set of Monroes to see if the Bilsteins are contributing?
I already have an extra set of Black Max front shocks, so my plan, at this point, is to install those, then pull the set off the rear of my TJ and install those. That won't cost me anything but a little time and will eliminate the shocks as an issue!

If you have some other shocks you can throw on for “free” I would definitely give that a shot. Maybe pull a front control arm and see what the bushings look like? The drive side upper on the front is the one that takes a lot of wear isn’t it? Maybe check sway bar bushings as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woodrow and Irun
I'm betting on blown shocks.
I'd really be surprised there. When I was doing the frame all four shocks were off. When put back on, they compressed like a typical Bilstein 5100, with a great deal of difficulty!

Reactions: bobthetj03
If you have some other shocks you can throw on for “free” I would definitely give that a shot. Maybe pull a front control arm and see what the bushings look like? The drive side upper on the front is the one that takes a lot of wear isn’t it? Maybe check sway bar bushings as well?
Out of curiosity I just went out and bounced the rear of my TJ by hand. It took a fair amount of effort to get it to compress approximately 1/4 to 1/2". When I did the same to the LJ, it moved twice that distance with half the effort. Something is definitely not right!

Can anyone verify if these springs are BDS? I did a search and could not. What I did get was ProComp matches on 55298 and 55297.

Rear Springs
20220109_173342-jpg.jpg

Front Springs
20220109_173430-jpg.jpg