JK to TJ Rear Axle Swap: Slow Build

5.13s are in
D169D3F9-7656-4A79-99CA-3AD9521B6CA0.jpeg
14A6E668-6C72-4A16-A440-09231B9CC9E0.jpeg

Did you set the gears up yourself?
Wish I could say I did, but it's not something I'm going to touch. The guy that did them builds a bunch of race car and custom axles locally. He even did touring bus axles. Cost me $800 to re-gear but it took 2 weeks. He was pretty backed up with work. I couldn't find anyone to give me a straight answer other than him, so I looked at 100 of his pictures and figured he knew what he was doing.
He has never used Revolution parts and was extremely impressed by the quality of the gear sets. Also mentioned that they setup very easily and he had no issue with the overhaul parts.
After talking to him for 30min, I found out he lives on the next road over from me and just had his new shop built, good news for me if I need some more work done.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Initial reaction to the 5.13's; I feel like I should have went with 4.88 just to get the RPMs down just a hair. But overall, the jeep is awesome from take-off and beyond. I think I could have lived with a little bit of searching for OD if the RPMs where down 2k. At 70MPH I'm running about 2700/2800RPM, I do not see an issue with it, but I'd like to have them around 2400/2500.
I'm happy with it, I just need to get used to it. Maybe I'll find a true 33" tire that will help my RPM's a little bit, my current 33's are actually 31's when measured.

Initial reaction to the 5.13's; I feel like I should have went with 4.88 just to get the RPMs down just a hair. But overall, the jeep is awesome from take-off and beyond. I think I could have lived with a little bit of searching for OD if the RPMs where down 2k. At 70MPH I'm running about 2700/2800RPM, I do not see an issue with it, but I'd like to have them around 2400/2500.
I'm happy with it, I just need to get used to it. Maybe I'll find a true 33" tire that will help my RPM's a little bit, my current 33's are actually 31's when measured.
With those axles you should be thinking about 35”s ;)

C’mon man! I ain’t made of money!

I have been pricing out an atlas TC though...damn money pits.

I know that feeling 100%.

Truth be told, I think 33” is the perfect size for a TJ. After having 35s I felt like maybe they were a bit much for my use and on the street.

Well, since it’s alive again. It’s been two years and the axle is doing fine. It does what it was intended to do, but I still put too much $$ into it. And quite frankly, the artec was handy, but unnecessary. If you can read an angle dial and a measuring tape, you can weld TJ mounts on just as easy. And the big ass...and I mean, big f’ing ass truss is way too bulky.
I don’t regret the swap, I regret the money spent, but I did learn something new, so there’s that.

Well, since it’s alive again. It’s been two years and the axle is doing fine. It does what it was intended to do, but I still put too much $$ into it. And quite frankly, the artec was handy, but unnecessary. If you can read an angle dial and a measuring tape, you can weld TJ mounts on just as easy. And the big ass...and I mean, big f’ing ass truss is way too bulky.
I don’t regret the swap, I regret the money spent, but I did learn something new, so there’s that.
Have you swapped the front yet? I'm curious how well stock JK wheels fit on a TJ that has JK axles. It looks like the extra width is accommodated by the larger backspacing on the JK wheels.

Have you swapped the front yet? I'm curious how well stock JK wheels fit on a TJ that has JK axles. It looks like the extra width is accommodated by the larger backspacing on the JK wheels.
I haven’t, it’s hard to find a reasonably priced front axle, even a JK Dana 30 is so overpriced it kills a budget right from the start. I’ll probably go with a 63.5” Currie axle with lock out hubs to avoid having to deal with the steering. The width isn’t bad, plenty of room. I’ve been using 2” TJ-JK spacers to get the width to match the rear. Haven’t had any issues.

the wheels you can use on the JK front end will be influenced by the type of steering links you choose. they use an odd bend on the TRE's to reach it back and around the edge of the rims. rod end upgrades can force the need for shallower rims, depending on what you choose.

my 1T steering and offset ends require at least a 17" rim and no more than 4" of BS.
you can actually fit some alloy 15"s on JK axles if you stay with a stock TR (and brakes). or similar fitting design with up to about 3.75" of BS.

Reactions: The shuggs
I haven’t, it’s hard to find a reasonably priced front axle, even a JK Dana 30 is so overpriced it kills a budget right from the start. I’ll probably go with a 63.5” Currie axle with lock out hubs to avoid having to deal with the steering. The width isn’t bad, plenty of room. I’ve been using 2” TJ-JK spacers to get the width to match the rear. Haven’t had any issues.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/907478516871336/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/237900888362853/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
still lookin for a JK front?

Nice thread! Before the swap, did you have a stock driveshaft? I’m about to do the swap because I came across the same deal you initially did. Free 44 rear with no shafts or brakes. However, I just installed an sye and bought an adams driveshaft. It’d be a real b*tch to have to buy another driveshaft. I’m just trying to figure out if I can get by using the driveshaft I currently have if I swap out the yoke.

Nice thread! Before the swap, did you have a stock driveshaft? I’m about to do the swap because I came across the same deal you initially did. Free 44 rear with no shafts or brakes. However, I just installed an sye and bought an adams driveshaft. It’d be a real b*tch to have to buy another driveshaft. I’m just trying to figure out if I can get by using the driveshaft I currently have if I swap out the yoke.
A new rear shaft is like $300, do it if you need to. Do you have a rubi.? I needed a new shaft due to the SYE when I did the jk swap. On the front I was able to reuse the stock driveshaft but I did push the axle slightly forward.

If you have to buy brakes buy JL JT brakes they bolt right on with their respective rotors.