Looking for on-board air ideas

Hog

Know it all...according to wife
Supporting Member
Have been wanting for a while to install an on board air system. Looking for ideas on a good system, where to locate to compressor, do I need another battery?, do they work for anything else other then filling up tires when u come off the trail? Thx

Have been wanting for a while to install an on board air system. Looking for ideas on a good system, where to locate to compressor, do I need another battery?, do they work for anything else other then filling up tires when u come off the trail? Thx

If you want to use OBA for multiple things I would consider a York engine ran compressor, ORO sells a kit for it - lots of volume and can run many air tools and fill tires fast. That’s my personal favorite. But there are a few electric ones you can mount that just won’t push as much and are more geared toward solely tires!

That seems pretty good.. will it rob power from the motor? Or decrease mpg?

That seems pretty good.. will it rob power from the motor? Or decrease mpg?
You only engage the compressor when you want to use the on board air, so when you're driving down the trail or road, the clutch is disengaged so it's just a free spinning pulley. You shouldn't see any power or mpg difference at all

Another option that has started gaining popularity is a "Power Tank" although I'm not a fan (personal taste), it has it's merits... Unless you live out in the sticks and you have to plan an all day trip to make it worth taking the tank some where to get it filled...

https://www.4wd.com/p/power-tank-10...6!3!329483539614!!!g!624984301850!&s_kwcid=AL!{7836}!{3}!329483539614!!!g!624984301850!&ecmp=s:google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1

Reactions: Tjrubicon
I have OBA for under $100, but it is only to fill tires with. I'll post some pics if needed, but if you want it to run other things, mine doesn't do that.

I've seen some that build a bumper to act as the air tank. It's just sitting there anyway. I've seen box tube used, but if it were me I'd use something round. Probably box is fine, just make good welds on the end caps and you have several gallons of air ready to go.👍

I like my York a lot. They can be expensive to piece together, but it is very fast and always available.

My front bumper is a air tank, but I don't believe a tank is at all necessary. Mine became a tank because it happened to be the cleanest way to attach a quick release to the outside of the Jeep.

CO2 is less costly up front and is portable beyond the length of the hose. There is quite a bit of value there depending on how you will be using it. The need to refill is what kept me away, though.

The primary reason I have never seriously considered CO2 is bulk. Space inside a jeep is precious and a CO2 tank takes up too much of it for me. However, it isn't a issue that impacts everyone - if one does primarily day runs without any passengers then storage space may not be an issue.

The second reason is the need for re-fills. If one could re-fill a CO2 tank at any gas station that would be one thing, but driving across town to the welding or beverage supply house for CO2 is a hassle.

The primary reason I have never seriously considered CO2 is bulk. Space inside a jeep is precious and a CO2 tank takes up too much of it for me. However, it isn't a issue that impacts everyone - if one does primarily day runs without any passengers then storage space may not be an issue.

The second reason is the need for re-fills. If one could re-fill a CO2 tank at any gas station that would be one thing, but driving across town to the welding or beverage supply house for CO2 is a hassle.

Add to that, the occasional tank re-cert.

Bulk (or the lack thereof) is another I didn't go with CO2. Except for the hose coil, my entire air system is under the hood. Cargo space is precious in a TJ.

I have OBA for under $100, but it is only to fill tires with. I'll post some pics if needed, but if you want it to run other things, mine doesn't do that.
Yes.. post a pic if you got them .. I like great ideas!!

I
what size tires do you run and what else would you like the system to do?
run 33’s ATs.. I would like to use it as a blower, filling up rafts and tubes, tires and maybe a lug wrench

I like my York a lot. They can be expensive to piece together, but it is very fast and always available.

My front bumper is a air tank, but I don't believe a tank is at all necessary. Mine became a tank because it happened to be the cleanest way to attach a quick release to the outside of the Jeep.

CO2 is less costly up front and is portable beyond the length of the hose. There is quite a bit of value there depending on how you will be using it. The need to refill is what kept me away, though.
Can you show me a pic of ur bumper?

Yes that would be a concern but like the idea!
A guy that lives near me is looking at using CO2 and since we live over 150 miles from the closest place to get them refilled, he is considering just doing a tank exchange. Basically just renting the tanks like you would with Oxy/Acetylene tanks. All he would have to purchase is the regulator and hose kit.

I've always been intrigued by the concept of using your bumper as an air tank. Unfortunately, my concern is putting a highly compressed tank as the first thing headed towards a rock seems unsettling.

I am using a CO2 tank. It does take up space in the back but its bearable. Refills happen maybe 2-3 times a summer. I can fill up each tire about 5 times with my 10lb tank.
IMG_2439.JPG