California NorCal Jeep adventures!

They’re all to big for the city. What you need is a storage locker in a small town that you can drive a geo metro to, and you keep al your goodies there loaded ready to go.

Yeah I’ve looked into this with a trailer but anywhere reasonable is like 2 hrs away and that would be the biggest pain in the ass

If you are going to the Dark Side, you might as well build a real overlander . . .

Another option might be a 2015 Xterra, the last year of production. I have an '05, which will be traded later this year. It has performed well as an overlander/road trip vehicle and holds plenty of gear. I know it can be parked in San Francisco. I've done it.

Here's a shot of mine taken May 2015 on the Elephant Hill trail at Moab:

Moab.jpg

Yeah I’ve looked into this with a trailer but anywhere reasonable is like 2 hrs away and that would be the biggest pain in the ass
I used to rent a 20 foot container on Treasure Island when I was doing all the high-rises downtown for $150 a month

I used to rent a 20 foot container on Treasure Island when I was doing all the high-rises downtown for $150 a month

Not sure you would get that now, you’d be lucky to get a parking space for that much. Also while $150 isn’t bad it’s still a fair amount. I absolutely hate monthly fees.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Another option might be a 2015 Xterra, the last year of production. I have an '05, which will be traded later this year. It has performed well as an overlander/road trip vehicle and holds plenty of gear. I know it can be parked in San Francisco. I've done it.

Here's a shot of mine taken May 2015 on the Elephant Hill trail at Moab:

View attachment 107878
Haha I love that you have your mascot on that as well

Reactions: Thunderhead
Not sure you would get that now, you’d be lucky to get a parking space for that much. Also while $150 isn’t bad it’s still a fair amount. I absolutely hate monthly fees.
I just gave it up last year when we got a warehouse in Union City

Anywho I agree with the truck solution, way more versatility, and you can help your friends without cars move!

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
How much gear do you want to take? The bed of a 4 door taco isn't very big. If it's just you and the pup, you could fold down the rear seats of a runner and stow all kinds of crap! RTT on top with a basket and you're good to go. A runner wouldn't be any harder to drive in the city than a 4 door taco would, and all your gear can be locked inside the rig. Or you could go full retard, get a Subi and be shunned by the Jeep community for all time.

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
How much gear do you want to take? The bed of a 4 door taco isn't very big. If it's just you and the pup, you could fold down the rear seats of a runner and stow all kinds of crap! RTT on top with a basket and you're good to go. A runner wouldn't be any harder to drive in the city than a 4 door taco would, and all your gear can be locked inside the rig. Or you could go full retard, get a Subi and be shunned by the Jeep community for all time.

The problem is any passengers and immediately it’s out of room. Even one passenger and the dog the truck would handle tons better.

I guess I'd have to look at the cubic feet of each for gear to make any further recommendations. Those Taco beds just seem really small, so I don't know how much gear you'll think you could fit back there. I guess if you have some sort of rack system that can allow you to stack gear and a RTT on top, I guess that could work. It would need to be removable so you can still use the truck as a truck and also not get your shit stolen. That in itself will present a whole new "where do a store my shit?" problem.

Ok, Landcruiser then. Personally, I hate the look of the latest gen runners. The tail lights/head lights are stupid looking. The prior gen I think looks better and isn't so land yacht-ish as the latest gen. Same for The Taco. I think the gen @lowranger has was the best looking. Personal taste though. The dang Tacos now are as big as the Tundra was prior generation.

Reactions: tomtaylz