California NorCal Jeep adventures!

So radiator started leaking this weekend been smelling it for a while but no visible leaks. Considering switching to an all aluminum one. Probably the afe blader runner. Any thoughts on all aluminum vs oem? Oem kicked the bucket at 77k

That’s a bummer! Where did it fail, tank or tubes?

And is the aftermarket cheaper than OEM?

I’d be looking to see what made it fail. Damage from an outside source, a rock or stick jab, I’d stay with OEM. Material failure, like a cracked plastic tank, I’d look at aftermarket. Especially after just 77k.

Just my 2 cents. 😸

Reactions: Alex01
That’s a bummer! Where did it fail, tank or tubes?

And is the aftermarket cheaper than OEM?

I’d be looking to see what made it fail. Damage from an outside source, a rock or stick jab, I’d stay with OEM. Material failure, like a cracked plastic tank, I’d look at aftermarket. Especially after just 77k.

Just my 2 cents. 😸
Looks like it is leaking in the bottom corner where the plastic tubes meet the radiator. It would be material failure as radiator has managed to avoid any hits. I currently struggle with higher than i like temps in the summer when on the trail or a good climb on the freeway which makes me want to go to a higher capacity aluminum. Reviews for oem or aftermarket all complain about leaks.

Looks like it is leaking in the bottom corner where the plastic tubes meet the radiator. It would be material failure as radiator has managed to avoid any hits. I currently struggle with higher than i like temps in the summer when on the trail or a good climb on the freeway which makes me want to go to a higher capacity aluminum. Reviews for oem or aftermarket all complain about leaks.
Sure sounds like aftermarket then.

There ought to be someone here that has good recommendation for an aftermarket. I’ve never had to go there with my rides.

Reactions: Gone-N-Done-It
That motorhome of yours is huge!! I was behind you today when you were towing your Jeep from Hwy 29 and 175 (Holland), then passed you when you pulled over in the right hand lane at Highland Springs. I honked at you but you looked pretty serious.
It's a beast and not a lot of fun to drive. It's going bye bye this summer.

So went aluminum on the radiator ended up going with the mishimoto radiator (feel like i am breaking some unwritten rule putting Japanese parts on a jeep) install went smooth and i didn't end up with any air pockets in the cooling system this time. I highly recommend a radiator vacuum fill tool if you are swapping radiators. It worked well. Radiator dumps way more heat. Temps dropped 4-6 degrees keeping me right around 206-208 running at freeway speeds. Cool for a JK. Happy with the upgrade so far

What could be seen 20220122_092007.jpg

what was hiding behind the fan shroud

20220122_110917.jpg

New vs old
20220122_111129.jpg20220122_111133.jpg

So went aluminum on the radiator ended up going with the mishimoto radiator (feel like i am breaking some unwritten rule putting Japanese parts on a jeep) install went smooth and i didn't end up with any air pockets in the cooling system this time. I highly recommend a radiator vacuum fill tool if you are swapping radiators. It worked well. Radiator dumps way more heat. Temps dropped 4-6 degrees keeping me right around 206-208 running at freeway speeds. Cool for a JK. Happy with the upgrade so far

What could be seenView attachment 304309

View attachment 304310

New vs old
View attachment 304311View attachment 304312
Don’t tell anyone but I’ve been running an aluminum radiator forever…and an electric fan 🤪

What could be seenView attachment 304309

View attachment 304310

New vs old
View attachment 304311View attachment 304312
That stock radiator was in real crappy shape! And judging by all that crust, it’s a good thing you didn’t get an OEM replacement.

That mishimoto’s pretty sweet! And it looks like it has more tubes too.

Good job! 👍

Reactions: DrDmoney
Sup fellas! Its been a while. I had a pretty rough year but want to get back out there and have some fun. I did get a few upgrades in so I can tackle some of the gnarlier runs. Did a super 35 with an ARB in the back, new Trektop, some KM3 35's and Just got my MC overlines to install this weekend. Here is a pic so far. Can't wait to get out there with you guys!
20220112_165210.jpg

Sup fellas! Its been a while. I had a pretty rough year but want to get back out there and have some fun. I did get a few upgrades in so I can tackle some of the gnarlier runs. Did a super 35 with an ARB in the back, new Trektop, some KM3 35's and Just got my MC overlines to install this weekend. Here is a pic so far. Can't wait to get out there with you guys!View attachment 305241
Looking good! Yeah, we need to get out there!

Reactions: Alex01
Done wrenching on this round of parts trackbars and radiator, will probably shake it down this weekend. We do need to get a run on the calendar soon
We need some more weather so we can do a snow run. I'm gone the 16-22 of Feb so I bet we'll have an epic storm roll through the weekend prior 🤣

I really want to do the Dusy this year. Anyone down? Would love to take a "longer" trip to enjoy the camping and fishing
I would like to do the Dusy this year, it’s every bit of 3 days I hear. There’s a few Central California guys close to there that might be interested.
I’m also interested in the Dusy.