Propane tank strapped underneath

There was a huge boondoggle on propane conversion kits here in AZ in the late 90s. If I remember correctly, the state offered something like a $7,500 - $10,000 tax credit depending on whether you had a conversion kit installed on a large suv you already owned or bought a new suv and converted it to propane.

Demand for and sales of those vehicles and the conversion kits went nuts to the extent that the state shut the program down abruptly, well before planned, due to far more people cashing in than projected. As a result, dealers were left with excess inventory of large suvs and were dying to offload them as the carrying cost racked up. We didn't pursue the propane program, but got a new 2001 Tahoe for next to nothing as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: IOwnCalculus
I run propane on my purpose built Rock crawler, it has a 350 vortex with a mild cam in it. If I switch the motor off while waiting on others to make obstacle's and mind my unnecessary idle time I can usually get around 8 hours of run time on a forklift cylinder, I have to run more timing than a comparable gasoline engine to get the horse power. Steepness and off cambers don't effect it like a carbureted engine does, I have never needed more horsepower or wheel speed than it gives but my rig is light and deeply geared.

Guys I'm still confused, so my TJ runs on propane?

I've owned both a Cherokee and Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 engine converted to run on propane (lpg).

Looking at your engine bay I can see that a heater hose has been tapped into to heat the vapouriser unit attached to the bulkhead.
There also appears to be a solenoid and the intake/throttle body has been modified with a connection to the vapouriser.

It looks as if you have the parts fitted to run on lpg. Both my Jeeps started on petrol and when the vapouriser was warm enough to change the liquid propane, as stored in the tank, into its gaseous state for injection into the throttle body, it changed to lpg.

Being volatile and potentially dangerous it would be a very good idea to have the system checked by a qualified auto lpg engineer before filling the lpg tank.

Can you get some more pics of these areas?

62F41AFE-F0A9-4CD0-ADD6-BD9022B16396.jpeg

I always thought it'd be cool to have something that ran on more than one fuel, just to have more than one basket for your eggs. Never had anything but gasoline vehicles though.

Not exactly the same, but a buddy of mine has a CNG powered Honda Civic that he fills at home with a compressor he had installed in his garage. His is single fuel only though. He almost got stuck in St Louis one time because the CNG station he had looked up ahead of time was closed on Sundays.

I've owned both a Cherokee and Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 engine converted to run on propane (lpg).

Looking at your engine bay I can see that a heater hose has been tapped into to heat the vapouriser unit attached to the bulkhead.
There also appears to be a solenoid and the intake/throttle body has been modified with a connection to the vapouriser.

It looks as if you have the parts fitted to run on lpg. Both my Jeeps started on petrol and when the vapouriser was warm enough to change the liquid propane, as stored in the tank, into its gaseous state for injection into the throttle body, it changed to lpg.

Being volatile and potentially dangerous it would be a very good idea to have the system checked by a qualified auto lpg engineer before filling the lpg tank.

Thank you!!

Reactions: Shropshirewrangler
I always thought it'd be cool to have something that ran on more than one fuel, just to have more than one basket for your eggs. Never had anything but gasoline vehicles though.

Not exactly the same, but a buddy of mine has a CNG powered Honda Civic that he fills at home with a compressor he had installed in his garage. His is single fuel only though. He almost got stuck in St Louis one time because the CNG station he had looked up ahead of time was closed on Sundays.

Yep Biden says get an electric car and you can drive across the USA on a tank of gas!

Just a few examples of what is out there. Lots of RVs have built in tanks that have to be filled in the vehicles, lots of propane conversions
Crazy, I had no idea. All I know about propane is that it’s super flammable. Combustion is combustion… makes sense . Worked grocery stores years ago and it was illegal to even bring a canister inside. Seems sketchy having it mounted that low