School me on mid-arms

My frame of reference is likely skewed a bit. I wouldn't consider those two options normally due to believing that one would likely wind up with the mid arm after they have done all they can and still need some more performance and that always includes having it locked up.

Personally, having seen crap suspension work to get a rig through stuff merely due to both ends being locked, I'd recommend lockers before the mid arm.
So true

Blaine often asks the interesting question of what if you had to choose between mid arms or a shock outboard. Can we reframe that? Mid arm or lockers? I have a feeling that lockers on both ends would take priority.

Can we elaborate on the shocks vs mid arm?

Can we elaborate on the shocks vs mid arm?

The improved shocks will be used and appreciated every time you drive the Jeep. The mid arms will only make a difference in very specific circumstances that most will never find themselves in. Otherwise, the mids are largely invisible.

The improved shocks will be used and appreciated every time you drive the Jeep. The mid arms will only make a difference in very specific circumstances that most will never find themselves in. Otherwise, the mids are largely invisible.

Give me your thoughts on this, so the jeep already has savvy/currie suspension, perches relocated and all supporting mods to either begin installing shocks or mid arms. I currently only have funds for one of these mods. The guy I bought all my suspension and steering from recommends doing the suspension excluding shocks first and get that just the way I want before adding shocks? I do how ever see your point mentioned above.

Give me your thoughts on this, so the jeep already has savvy/currie suspension, perches relocated and all supporting mods to either begin installing shocks or mid arms. I currently only have funds for one of these mods. The guy I bought all my suspension and steering from recommends doing the suspension excluding shocks first and get that just the way I want before adding shocks? I do how ever see your point mentioned above.

Do you expect to have the funds and want to outboard in the future?

Do you expect to have the funds and want to outboard in the future?

Yeah I am just deciding which to do first. I assume the next one will come within 6 months of the other. Off topic a little here but if you out board and decide 3 yrs down the road to stretch and go big axles and coil overs you couldn't any longer with the back portion of the frame?

What benefit do you expect to see from the mid arms? I ask this as someone who would most likely get along just fine with short arms.

Regarding fitting the mid arms, they are not compatible on a SWB TJ with the factory skid. The rear upper spring seats need to be moved to make the bumps line up again.

Yeah I am just deciding which to do first. I assume the next one will come within 6 months of the other.

In that case, the outboard should be done after the mid-arm. Or else you'll have to redo the axle mounts at a minimum.

Off topic a little here but if you out board and decide 3 yrs down the road to stretch and go big axles and coil overs you couldn't any longer with the back portion of the frame?

There's a lot of different ways that could go. You'd have to patch it back up in some way or another but that's not the biggest challenge you'll be facing if you do that so I wouldn't worry about it right now..

Yeah I am just deciding which to do first. I assume the next one will come within 6 months of the other. Off topic a little here but if you out board and decide 3 yrs down the road to stretch and go big axles and coil overs you couldn't any longer with the back portion of the frame?
Not exactly.
DSC_4885.JPG

Reactions: Daryl and Alex01
What benefit do you expect to see from the mid arms? I ask this as someone who would most likely get along just fine with short arms.

Regarding fitting the mid arms, they are not compatible on a SWB TJ with the factory skid. The rear upper spring seats need to be moved to make the bumps line up again.

I already have Savvy under armor and the rear spring seats moved so my bumps line up. I expect the Jeep to articulate more freely while crawling through the rocks.

In that case, the outboard should be done after the mid-arm. Or else you'll have to redo the axle mounts at a minimum.
Either can be done first since neither changes the angle of the pinion. It is smart to do the belly mods before either, but the mid arm can follow the belly up with no problems. The outboard can't.

Here's the jeep as it sits. Everything prior to out board and mid arms have been completed. There's no issues with articulation but from what little research I have done, the 3 link and triangulated 4 link work better together than the factory.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_9539.jpeg

So depending on cost of labor I may just do the mid arm and shocks together. I’m waiting to hear back from the shop. I spoke to Paul about the shocks and I’m pretty excited to get some put on. I enjoyed the comment of him telling me about his mid arm experience and said the Jeep climbed like a goat. He mentioned were when my front tire begins to lift on of camber climbs the tires will stay mounted. He mentioned being about to carry more speed off road, that’s something I look forward to. I don’t know many Jeep people so most of the rides I’m the only Jeep in a group of rzrs, so the pace is typical quicker than most Jeep rides. It’s interesting to see how a Jeep and rzr differ. On rock gardens or where ground clearance is required I can often get through easier. On off camber climbs and steep terrain they have the advantage. I’d love to some day build a Jeep capable of doing everything a rzr can and do much more at their pace.

Is shortened and/or lowered IC the reason for not lifting a tire on off camber as easy with the mid arm? If you move IC up or down with out changing length, how will the Jeep act differently? If you only change the IC shorter or longer with out changing height, how will the Jeep act differently?