Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

Okay, so this is my very first post on this forum (which looks pretty awesome so far). What better way to introduce myself than to post a how-to for fellow Wrangler TJ owners.

Anyways, I live in a pretty sketchy area and sometimes leave my Wrangler out at night. Because of that, I want to make sure it's as safe as possible from potential thieves. Some of us Wrangler TJ owners were lucky enough to have the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) installed and setup from the factory. However, others of us weren't as lucky. For those of you that don't know what the SKIM does, let me sum things up in a nutshell: SKIM will prevent your Wrangler from being hot-wired or having a non-chipped key being duplicated and used to steal it. When a non-coded key is used it will kill your Jeep after about 2 seconds, therefore effectively preventing someone from stealing it.

It's not perfect by any means, but I would speculate that it's enough to deter most thieves from attempting to steal your Wrangler.

So, this little how-to isn't my own. I found it on another forum and figured I'd repost it on this forum since it helped me immensely with installing SKIM on my Wrangler TJ. That being said, enjoy!

Parts
I bought the below keys and module to help deter the theft of my Jeep. Please consult with your Jeep dealer using your VIN # to determine part numbers specific to your vehicle. The following part numbers came from my receipt and are for a 2005 Wrangler TJ / LJ:

Key Blank # 5018699AA
SKIM Module # 56010209AD

View attachment 56 View attachment 57

The SKIM keys are grey and thicker than the black non SKIM keys.

Installation
Once you get the parts together remove the top and bottom half of the steering wheel covers, by removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the steering wheel as indicated. There are 2 screws at the base of the steering wheel...

View attachment 58

and 2 screws on each side of the steering column and dash piece. The dash screws are longer and thinner so keep them separate from the steering screws. The panel has two metal clips at the top so you need to pull lightly and they will pop out once the screws are removed.

View attachment 59

Once you have all that removed take your module and place the ring over the ignition. It slides over snuggly and seats up against the back of it...

View attachment 62 View attachment 63 View attachment 64

Then rotate it down as needed to slide the clip onto the steering column support...

View attachment 65 View attachment 66

Take note of the small plug not being used and snip the tape holding it to the harness...

View attachment 67

That is the plug that will be used by the dealer... DO NOT PLUG IT IN!!! Just remove the tape to make access for the dealer easier.

Now drive to your dealer of choice. They will need your VIN to get the PIN code to program your keys. They just enter it in their computer and it pulls it up. No need to call anyone. They will need the DRBIII tool for 05 and newer or scan gauge for 04 and older.

Once they have the proper tool and code they will need to take that loose plug and connect it to the SKIM module and activate it first by placing your VIN in the module via their tool.

Once the SKIM module is recognized/activated they can place the key in the ignition, turn it on, (Not start) and enter the PIN code and hit "yes". If you have more than one key they just repeat the previous sentence. Now you are done.

When you start your Jeep with a key you will now see the yellow/orange "No Key" symbol next to the cruise light on your dash. It will stay on until it sync's the key and module/computer. One of 2 things will now happen, the light will go off and let the Jeep continue running because a good key is being used or stay on and shut off the Jeep because a non-chipped key or bad key was used. It will do this in about 2-3 seconds.

View attachment 68

If you brought your screwdriver with you you can place all the plastic back together or go home and finish it up.

I bought 3 keys. The reason is that if you have one key go bad you can replace it and program it yourself as long as you have 2 working keys. If you only have 2 keys and one goes bad you have to have the dealer program the new key.

To program a new key if you have 2 good ones, you simply place one good key in the ignition and turn it all the way on but do not start it. You repeat this with the second good key, then you use the new key and your all set. This procedure is in your owners manual. The system will keep track of up to 8 keys.

If you want to test to see if your Jeep shuts off after the install is complete, take your old key and start the Jeep. It should shut if in about 2 secs. DO NOT do this several times. After the 3rd or 4th unsuccessful attempt, it will lock you out of the computer and your Jeep will need to be towed to the dealer. Im not sure on the exact number of tries but it will lock you out if you do this too many times.

For information on the two methods used for programming the SKIS keys, check out this thread: SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming.
How do I remove it

Is this possible for a 2006 wrangler unlimited? 3 dealerships have told me no so far, not sure if that's because they don't know how or if it's not possible. I have the non rubicon model

Is this possible for a 2006 wrangler unlimited? 3 dealerships have told me no so far, not sure if that's because they don't know how or if it's not possible. I have the non rubicon model
Rubicon or not does not matter for this. Read through this thread, lots of good information.

Apologies for the bump, but hopefully this question is better suited for this relevant thread than a new one. I see there was some discussion earlier of specific SKIM modules for pre-01 and post-01. I have only been able to find part number 56010209AD for 2001-2006 (according to the parts' description. I have also found an ebay seller with PCM, Immobilizer module, key, and cylinder supposedly from a 2000 Wrangler, but the images show P56009712AD, which returns as a 2001 Cherokee immobilizer. Wrangler is never mentioned on that part number, nor is anything prior to 2001.

I figure the 5 post guy from 2018 isn't checking this thread anymore, but has anyone been able to find a P/N for a 98-00 Jeep, or have success using the 56010209AD Module in an earlier model? Or have ideas of who else I could call for this info? Local dealers have no clue what I'm talking about, and the factory Parts Manual for a 2000 lists the Immobilizer Module as "NOT REQUIRED" with no part number, but does show it on illustrations (albeit on the passenger side?? and it doesn't look like the halo module).

1614024780355.png

I kind of answered one of my questions. For others interested, 98-2000 TJs used P/N 56009-712AC. If it follows typical Chyrsler nomenclature, any 56009-###xx Should work on it, including some of the XJ ones. I plan to call and prod some more dealers around here to see if any will allow me to pay them to at least try to pair everything up and program keys.

Follow-up question for clarity. When a SKIM is installed on a PCM that has never seen one before, is it paired/programmed at the PCM side, or the SKIM module itself? I'd imagine the SKIM is "passive" in this process, but want to make sure before I buy a used SKIM to install (Don't want to swap used PCM if the SKIM side of things is "locked" to being paired with just one PCM rather than vice versa).

I kind of answered one of my questions. For others interested, 98-2000 TJs used P/N 56009-712AC. If it follows typical Chyrsler nomenclature, any 56009-###xx Should work on it, including some of the XJ ones. I plan to call and prod some more dealers around here to see if any will allow me to pay them to at least try to pair everything up and program keys.

Follow-up question for clarity. When a SKIM is installed on a PCM that has never seen one before, is it paired/programmed at the PCM side, or the SKIM module itself? I'd imagine the SKIM is "passive" in this process, but want to make sure before I buy a used SKIM to install (Don't want to swap used PCM if the SKIM side of things is "locked" to being paired with just one PCM rather than vice versa).

my understanding is that once the SKIM is plugged in, the PCM senses a SKIM, becomes enabled for SKIM operation, and then must be programmed to accept the keys.

Reactions: IrishWake
my understanding is that once the SKIM is plugged in, the PCM senses a SKIM, becomes enabled for SKIM operation, and then must be programmed to accept the keys.
Thanks. That was my assumption. Just need to find a dealer willing to help before I place an order...

I'm looking to add SKIM to my non-SKIM '03 and have read through this thread, the SKIM key programming thread, and some others. My scenario is this:

What I have is:
- an '04 tilt column I'm swapping in, with the module

What I don't have is:
- Keys for the tilt column, however, I plan to swap in the lock cylinder from my current column, so the keys will remain the same

What I plan to do is:
- swap the lock cylinder over
- replace the ignition actuator
- replace the ignition switch
- install the new tilt column, with SKIM

According to the @freedom_in_4low comment, I believe what I need to do is then take the Jeep to the Dealer, where they can cut me 2+ new keys and program the PCM to accept them. Did I understand this correctly?

According to the @freedom_in_4low comment, I believe what I need to do is then take the Jeep to the Dealer, where they can cut me 2+ new keys and program the PCM to accept them. Did I understand this correctly?

You don't have to have the dealer cut the keys, you can buy blanks and get them cut at Lowe's or wherever, then bring them with you to the dealer to get them programmed.

I haven't actually performed this so take this with a grain of salt, but yes - my understanding is that you install the SKIM but DON'T plug it in - then take it to the dealer, with lower dash panel removed so the plug is accessible. Once they have it parked in the service bay, they plug in the SKIM and program the keys and you're on your way.

Then report back here :)

I bought a SKIM from Blaine, installed it in my 99 and then decided to get an LJ instead, so I never ended up following through. Need to buy another SKIM to put in my '06 so I can get this done. I'm nervous about the dealer knowing what they're doing after reading some posts about dealers saying it won't work.

You don't have to have the dealer cut the keys, you can buy blanks and get them cut at Lowe's or wherever, then bring them with you to the dealer to get them programmed.

I haven't actually performed this so take this with a grain of salt, but yes - my understanding is that you install the SKIM but DON'T plug it in - then take it to the dealer, with lower dash panel removed so the plug is accessible. Once they have it parked in the service bay, they plug in the SKIM and program the keys and you're on your way.

Then report back here :)

I bought a SKIM from Blaine, installed it in my 99 and then decided to get an LJ instead, so I never ended up following through. Need to buy another SKIM to put in my '06 so I can get this done. I'm nervous about the dealer knowing what they're doing after reading some posts about dealers saying it won't work.
Two things, I need that SKIM back if you aren't going to use it. Second is get the dealer to cut the keys to the VIN. They use a clipping cutter that gives you a key that fits correctly even if the tumblers are worn in the ignition cylinder. If you cut to a worn key and then redo the tumblers in the ignition, it may not work.

Reactions: Irun
I'm looking to add SKIM to my non-SKIM '03 and have read through this thread, the SKIM key programming thread, and some others. My scenario is this:

What I have is:
- an '04 tilt column I'm swapping in, with the module

What I don't have is:
- Keys for the tilt column, however, I plan to swap in the lock cylinder from my current column, so the keys will remain the same

What I plan to do is:
- swap the lock cylinder over
- replace the ignition actuator
- replace the ignition switch
- install the new tilt column, with SKIM

If the module has been programmed from being installed in the 04, it won't pair up with the PCM. We are trying to figure out if we can reflash the VIN in the SKIM module to be able to use ones that have already been programmed.

Before you get too far along, make sure the dealer has the older DRB to do the work.

Reactions: Irun
After having my F250 just stolen, this was a good reminder. Just ordered skim parts from MoparPartsGiant ($350) for SKIM mod and 3 keys.

@Irun I have been unable to find a dealer in our area that knows what I'm talking about when I call to ask. I've been in communication with mrblaine and Mark from wranglerfix to see what solution there is to reprogramming a PCM to work with an existing used SKIM (since no one makes a new 2000 PCM), however the test PCM to try before programming for SKIM doesn't work in my Jeep. Currently awaiting Mark's response to see if it was due to the VIN programming or if it was a physical problem.

Two things, I need that SKIM back if you aren't going to use it. Second is get the dealer to cut the keys to the VIN. They use a clipping cutter that gives you a key that fits correctly even if the tumblers are worn in the ignition cylinder. If you cut to a worn key and then redo the tumblers in the ignition, it may not work.
If the module has been programmed from being installed in the 04, it won't pair up with the PCM. We are trying to figure out if we can reflash the VIN in the SKIM module to be able to use ones that have already been programmed.

Before you get too far along, make sure the dealer has the older DRB to do the work.
As always great help here! I didn't know about the SKIM not being reusable. I'll likely just order a new one, then go on a quest to find a dealer with the older DRB to have the programming done. @IrishWake is in my area and the fact that he hasn't found a dealer that knows what to do is a little troublesome, but I'll touch base with him and see who he's contacted. As for the keys, I'll get the dealer to cut them using the VIN. As always, thanks!

@Irun I have been unable to find a dealer in our area that knows what I'm talking about when I call to ask. I've been in communication with mrblaine and Mark from wranglerfix to see what solution there is to reprogramming a PCM to work with an existing used SKIM (since no one makes a new 2000 PCM), however the test PCM to try before programming for SKIM doesn't work in my Jeep. Currently awaiting Mark's response to see if it was due to the VIN programming or if it was a physical problem.
Give me a call or text when you find something out. I'm going to hold off until I hear back from you!

As always great help here! I didn't know about the SKIM not being reusable. I'll likely just order a new one, then go on a quest to find a dealer with the older DRB to have the programming done. @IrishWake is in my area and the fact that he hasn't found a dealer that knows what to do is a little troublesome, but I'll touch base with him and see who he's contacted. As for the keys, I'll get the dealer to cut them using the VIN. As always, thanks!
The dealer has access to the PIN needed to program the SKIM and once that is input into the module, it can't be pulled back out or erased with the DRB. The PIN is tied to the VIN.

When my 04 was the subject of an attempted theft, the dealer tossed all the take-out parts in the rig. In that pile was a new SKIM module which we have tried to program to the same vehicle as a spare or to another to see if we could with no success. We are guessing the tech fat fingered the PIN, it didn't match the VIN, bricked the SKIM.

You can always mail all the parts to us and we can get it done.
I have a knuckle boxed up to send you for the tie rod flip insert, so packaging another one up isn't an issue. I'll send a message to make sure I know what should be included. Thanks again!