The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread

Solid plan! Should be good to go with the MML, it will keep you from having to do a TCase drop.

Are the KO3’s out yet?

Not doing a t case drop. I want to move it up ^ . As for the KO3 they are not available to order yet. I am hoping by spring. BFG answered a email from me and said they have " no information that we can release at the moment " .

Not doing a t case drop. I want to move it up ^ . As for the KO3 they are not available to order yet. I am hoping by spring. BFG answered a email from me and said they have " no information that we can release at the moment " .
To move it up more than stock you will need either a Lo-Pro Mount setup like that made by UCF which will give you 2" and flat skid, or a SYE and DC combo for a full tuck

A few that come to mind aside from Savvy are:
  • UCF
  • Nth Degree
  • Rockhard 4x4
  • Teraflex
  • GenRight Off-Road
  • Clayton Off-Road
  • Rigged Ridge
I know there's probably a lot more, but those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head.

As for aluminum ones, the only aluminum one I've seen is Savvy (it also provides the best clearance). However, there may be other aluminum ones I haven't heard of.
Under cover fab makes aluminum skidplates

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I’m back in the game for a TT. Here’s my question. When you get your SYE and DC, you have to measure from yoke to yoke and give those measurements to the folks making your DC. But how do you know what that measurement should be if you haven’t pushed your TCase up closer to the tub yet? I’m confused on the order at this juncture in the process. Also, you haven’t rotated your pinion yet, so how do you know exactly where it will be so you can get the right measurement? This one might be close enough to not make a difference, but the other one.???

Reactions: StG58
I’m back in the game for a TT. Here’s my question. When you get your SYE and DC, you have to measure from yoke to yoke and give those measurements to the folks making your DC. But how do you know what that measurement should be if you haven’t pushed your TCase up closer to the tub yet? I’m confused on the order at this juncture in the process. Also, you haven’t rotated your pinion yet, so how do you know exactly where it will be so you can get the right measurement? This one might be close enough to not make a difference, but the other one.???
Don't have any answers to those very good questions, but I bet if you send them an email, they would give you guidance...they were very responsive when I was grilling them on tucking an SE.

Oh, BTW, they are the ONLY fab shop to build TT's out of aluminum for an early SE.

Reactions: JMT

You measure from fixed yoke to fixed yoke, as mentioned here (under the TJ section):

http://www.4xshaft.com

MeasDC_575x240.jpg

Don't order the driveshaft until the transferase is tucked, and the vehicle is on the ground (without the rear driveshaft installed). Then take your measurements and you should be good to go.

You measure from fixed yoke to fixed yoke, as mentioned here (under the TJ section):

View attachment 28606

Don't order the driveshaft until the transferase is tucked, and the vehicle is on the ground (without the rear driveshaft installed). Then take your measurements and you should be good to go.

What do you do when you already have a SYE and DCDS and haven't tucked yet? Is there enough length in your current DS that you can still use it after the TT? How much of a TT is acceptable before you're buying a new drive shaft. Good Q's @JMT .

View attachment 28606

So you go ahead and tuck, pull the rear cv and then just drive in 4H till you measure and get it on order?

What do you do when you already have a SYE and DCDS and haven't tucked yet? Is there enough length in your current DS that you can still use it after the TT? How much of a TT is acceptable before you're buying a new drive shaft. Good Q's @JMT .

When I spoke to Tom Wood about that on the phone when I was doing mine, he said that if I was tucking the transfer case I should be fine with the DC driveshaft I already have. The slip joint on the driveshaft should be dead center when the vehicle is sitting on the ground, but he had mentioned it it was a little off center, that would be fine. If it's near the end of it's travel though, then you have issues.

I haven't done a tummy tuck yet though, so I don't know what will happen when I end up doing one! Hopefully I can still reuse my DC driveshaft.

So you go ahead and tuck, pull the rear cv and then just drive in 4H till you measure and get it on order?

Well, the TJ is my second vehicle and since Tom Wood ships the driveshaft so fast, I'd just park it for a few days and wait for the new driveshaft to get here. Your idea works too though!

Well, the TJ is my second vehicle and since Tom Wood ships the driveshaft so fast, I'd just park it for a few days and wait for the new driveshaft to get here. Your idea works too though!
I could spend the few days disassembling the TCase and installing the SYE. Good idea and thanks for answering my questions.

That would be a lot of big changes close together.

Reactions: Chris
Might as well do it all at once I figure! That's how I would do it if I had to do it all over again.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Wish I would've seen this before venturing into Tummy Tuck land...I'm having to change out my motor mounts and transmission mounts this weekend b/c of the TT and my mid life crisis totally unnecessary 6 inch lift. Great write up, makes being a shade tree mechanic kinda legit.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Wish I would've seen this before venturing into Tummy Tuck land...I'm having to change out my motor mounts and transmission mounts this weekend b/c of the TT and my mid life crisis totally unnecessary 6 inch lift. Great write up, makes being a shade tree mechanic kinda legit.

There's definitely a lot more to it than meets the eye. I wish it was as easy as just slapping on a new skid plate.

It really makes you appreciate the JKs, because they come tucked from the factory, like the TJ should have!

Reactions: StG58
Hey Chris, I have considered a tuck before, but never went through with making it happen. I came across this thread while search for skid plates and what not. Over the year I have had the jeep, I have done some things that seem to be most of the requirements for a tt according to the list you posted. I am curious what else I would need to do for a tt/ more clearance and skids. What I currently have : 04 TJ Rubicon, 3.5" Metal Cloak LTSA, 1" body lift (NO MM lift), Adams Rear DS, and 35's. Thanks