The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread

FYI @Chris, a cable shifter is not always required. I ran mine for yeas with a TMR tummy tuck. (I got about 2" of extra clearance as that's all the rubi tcase would allow and still leave a bit of room so it wouldn't hit the floor or skid from torque) with the stock linkage without the body lift drop bracket. Right up until my trans mount ripped in half (I run a 1/2 ton chev rubber mount to kill engine vibration) and the tcase jumped and killed a bushing.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

FYI @Chris, a cable shifter is not always required. I ran mine for yeas with a TMR tummy tuck. (I got about 2" of extra clearance as that's all the rubi tcase would allow and still leave a bit of room so it wouldn't hit the floor or skid from torque) with the stock linkage without the body lift drop bracket. Right up until my trans mount ripped in half (I run a 1/2 ton chev rubber mount to kill engine vibration) and the tcase jumped and killed a bushing.

Good point. You can definitely use the stock shifter. I just can't imagine using a stock shifter ever again after switching to a Savvy cable shifter!

Good point. You can definitely use the stock shifter. I just can't imagine using a stock shifter ever again after switching to a Savvy cable shifter!
Lol ok that's fair. Honestly though, before mine broke it worked so well that I really don't feel a lot of difference with the cable shift. It's always been smooth, I suspect I'm in the minority there though.

Mine was always set up correctly too, but switching to savvy made it a little more smooth and quiet when shifting.

Lol ok that's fair. Honestly though, before mine broke it worked so well that I really don't feel a lot of difference with the cable shift. It's always been smooth, I suspect I'm in the minority there though.

I think you may be! I've had two TJs so far, and the shifter on both of them has always been notchy and hard to navigate. The Savvy one just makes it a lot smoother and obviously more quiet.

Reactions: psrivats
Definitely more quiet... But I kind of liked the clunk.

Reactions: Chris
Quick question...I'm planning a tummy tuck this winter and noticed my front driveshaft is a little loose in the DC joint. Do you need to replace the front DS with a tummy tuck or is the stock one OK? I don't want to rebuild my OEM shaft just to replace it in a few months.

Quick question...I'm planning a tummy tuck this winter and noticed my front driveshaft is a little loose in the DC joint. Do you need to replace the front DS with a tummy tuck or is the stock one OK? I don't want to rebuild my OEM shaft just to replace it in a few months.

The stock front driveshaft is just fine. That sucker is so long that even with the tummy tuck, the angle of my front driveshaft still isn't anywhere near "extreme". Wish I could say the same for my rear driveshaft :risas3:

On an LJ w/ 3” of lift, using something like UCF’s ultra high clearance, would I need to do an SYE and DC Shaft?

Or, I suppose I could get away with adjustable control arms for a while...

On an LJ w/ 3” of lift, using something like UCF’s ultra high clearance, would I need to do an SYE and DC Shaft?

Or, I suppose I could get away with adjustable control arms for a while...

You’d need an SYE and DC driveshaft. That ultra high clearance skid would be the equivalent of adding another 3-4” of suspension lift, thus putting your driveline at around 6-7” of suspension lift. Too much even for an LJ without a SYE and DC driveshaft.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Could someone with a Savvy Tummy Tuck and a manual transmission comment on what happened to their shifter when they did the tuck? Did you have to modify the console at all and did the shifter height change? Does the new height of the transmission cancel out the body lift?

Also, in terms of front driveline angles, does the Savvy Tummy Tuck help or hurt? I've seen people say that your front driveline angle is actually improved with a tummy tuck, but that is counterintuitive to me.

Hoping to get the Savvy kit installed sometime within the next few months!

Anyone have the answer to my above post? Might be ordering a Savvy Tuck within the next 7 days (getting it installed with my frame swap) and I was hoping to have the answers worked out. Thanks in advance!

Could someone with a Savvy Tummy Tuck and a manual transmission comment on what happened to their shifter when they did the tuck? Did you have to modify the console at all and did the shifter height change? Does the new height of the transmission cancel out the body lift?

Also, in terms of front driveline angles, does the Savvy Tummy Tuck help or hurt? I've seen people say that your front driveline angle is actually improved with a tummy tuck, but that is counterintuitive to me.

Hoping to get the Savvy kit installed sometime within the next few months!

Easy answer,, It depends. 1" body lift vs 3" body lift. Most body lifts include a shifter extender. I know at 2" you have to cut up some of the console. Tummy tuck will need drive line corrections. If you lift the transfer case , you can lift the motor to help the front. The rear is going to cost money to correct as the original post explains.

Easy answer,, It depends. 1" body lift vs 3" body lift. Most body lifts include a shifter extender. I know at 2" you have to cut up some of the console. Tummy tuck will need drive line corrections. If you lift the transfer case , you can lift the motor to help the front. The rear is going to cost money to correct as the original post explains.

I have everything pretty much figured out at this point (posted another thread on the savvy tuck), but thanks for replying! The Savvy tuck recommends a 1.25" body lift so that is what I'm getting. I already have most of the parts to do the Savvy Tuck because of my Currie lift, so most of the cost is already taken care of thankfully. Looking forward to my extra clearance!

Reactions: Randy_K
its like the more i read the more i feel like i need a teacher to teach me jeep geometry 101, i run into something new everyday that i don't know enough about. Im having to read and figure out if the guy before me did any of the stuff in these threads when he put the 4" suspension on. i guess ill find out soon enough.

Reactions: Chris
its like the more i read the more i feel like i need a teacher to teach me jeep geometry 101, i run into something new everyday that i don't know enough about. Im having to read and figure out if the guy before me did any of the stuff in these threads when he put the 4" suspension on. i guess ill find out soon enough.

Do you have adjustable control arms? Those are the first necessity