The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread

If I were to go with a SYE, 1" MML 1"Body Lift, and high clearance transfer skid, would I need a new exhaust or no. After the body lift I would have a total of 4 inches of lift

Not a new exhaust, but you will almost certainly have to modify it in some shape or form. Not hard to do at all. Any local exhaust shop can modify it in under an hour in most cases (they did with mine).

Reactions: D M
If I were to go with a SYE, 1" MML 1"Body Lift, and high clearance transfer skid, would I need a new exhaust or no. After the body lift I would have a total of 4 inches of lift
I did run up to my muffler shop and had him replace the tail pipe section (from the muffler back) because it touched in a couple of areas. Cost me 35 bucks. I like your list above but I didn’t see the new CV drive shaft ?

Ucf uhc skid with the low pro mount.... has anyone used this skid with a better mount? It’s a joke to me they even sell the Low pro mount and the 1” square of rubber isolation that it uses....

Anyone move on from the Nth TT to the Savvy UA? Does the Savvy skid/crossmember sit higher than the Nth? I'm curious if I am going to need additional tub massaging. I do have a Currie 1 inch BL, and I will either add a some washers or get the 1.25 Savvy BL.

I have the Nth (auto and 241) now, and I'm ready to switch to the Savvy. I had the Nth off a couple of weeks ago, and I'm tired of the heavy one piece pain in the ass.

Reactions: JMT and oldjeepman
@strumble8 knows a bit about the Nth and Savvy.

I can tell you right away that the extra 1/4" will only help make the 241 fit more easily.

Reactions: fortuso
I had an nth skid, replaced it with the savvy after one solid hit bent it and enough to cause the fan to rub the shroud. The savvy skid did move the transfer case closer to the tub than the nth skid. I had to do a very slight massage to the tub, I credit that to the jks body lift that was not a full 1.25". When I replaced the BL with savvy I gained enough clearance that I dont think massaging the tub would have been necessary

Reactions: rasband and zebra12
Hey guys, what's the tummy tuck that give me the most clearance? I was going for the savvy but apparently they don't make it for my year and model. 98 auto... Ucf looks pretty good.

Hi folks, this is my first "question" post so I hope it is in the right thread. Basically, I have installed the Teraflex high clearance transmission skid plate on my 2005 TJ. I really don't need more clearance but the shape of the factory skid plate is really penalizing specially in mud and snow. I have SYE, CV rear shaft and upper and lower arms are adjustable. Obviously I had to rotate the rear axle (dana44) to avoid successfully driveline vibration. After that, I experienced some contact between the rear trackbar and the fuel tank skid plate. I have factory rear trackbar bolt-on Rough Country relocation bracket (coming from the lift kit I installed). To solve this bump I'm thinking to buy a new, adjustable rear trackbar and I'm in doubt between JKS and Currie (both seems to be well done). I bought in the past and entry level suspension lift kit (Rough Country) and, even if it works (after replacing shock by Rancho XL9000...), because to get what you pay for, I always have in mind that something could work better... so I discarded low-end rear trackbar. So I would like to have your feedback about JKS or Currie trackbars. Moreover, I saw that JKS sell a rotated trackbar relocating bracket (I did not see the same from Currie). Is the relocating bracket need with an adjustable trackbar (in front axle I have a rough country adjustable trackbar without relocating bracket).
Thank you in advance for your suggestions and experiences (of course, feel free to suggest also different trackbars).

Really good thread. I probably knew most of what was required years ago but have been away from the forums and other Jeepers for so long I had forgotten how involved this project can be.

How about this for a throwback. I have a NOS Jeep Medic belly up and engine skid sitting in my garage. Bought them several years ago and been hauling them around for at least 7 years as I’ve moved. Still need to build/buy a bracket to mount the engine skid.

Guess I need to order some more parts.

Reactions: JMT

This! (also hello, always lurked but now I've joined)
I recently installed a metalcloak 3.5" short arm, Rokmen skid, and a super short SYE. I already have a 1/2" BL, but it is going to be swapped out for a 1" that is coming in the mail. I also have the brown dog 1" MML that will go in right after the new BL because i just couldn't squeeze the transmission that close to the fire wall. also have the novak cable linkage for the t-case (231) installed.
I'm posting just to get a opinon from you guys to see if i've missed anything or, my one concern is that the the 1" BL won't be enough?

I know i'll need to alter my exhaust. And once everything is installed I'll take some measurements and order new drive lines (CV of course).

Edit: the extra 0.5" made the difference I needed.

Last edited:
I already have a body and motor mount lift, adjustable control arms, rear track bar relocation (soon to be antirock in the rear too), and t case cable. Still need the the driveshafts, SYE, and skid. For the rear shock relocation brackets, and the spring perch, is there any benefit in my Jeep being an LJ, and having adjustable upper and lower control arms that would prevent the need for either of them?

With the exhaust mod, would the exhaust be an issue after the tummy tuck, or after the motor mount and body lift? I don't seem to have a problem with my exhaust now, so I'm wondering if that means I'm okay once I do the tummy tuck.

Last, I'm looking to do a high pinion front axle swap. It seems like the drive shaft will be a few inches higher. I don't have any issue with my front drive shaft now, with a low pinion, 4" lift, and motor mount lift. But I probably will with a tummy tuck. But, if I go to a high pinion, is it possible that I won't need a new front driveshaft?

For the rear shock relocation brackets, and the spring perch, is there any benefit in my Jeep being an LJ, and having adjustable upper and lower control arms that would prevent the need for either of them?

I’m going through this now, and while the drive line won’t be quite as steep - you’ll likely still need to either grind the perch or use the relocators.

Reactions: Chris
I bought a 97 TJ and the skid plate was the same as my curent 01 TJ but after that things changed. The 02 and up had a lower skid plate by about an inch. I noticed it the moment it hit the showroom floor and then latter models 04 and up were even lower again so I was happy I'd bought the 01 and I'm still glad I've held onto it.

So, if you own a 04 and up TJ, perhaps you could do a budget tuck by modding the OME 01 skid plate to fit - just a thought.

Well the TT is in and it looks great. Exhaust is a pain and seems way to close, to way too much. I have the dynamax super turbo cat back kit. I figured i would have to modify the rear tail pipe section, but the muffler itself seem way to close to the upper control arm mount, so i think i'll need a new one. Anyone running any shorter-ish mufflers that seem to have good clearance?

rear pipe is really stretching those hanger bushings and touches the gas tank and shock. and it looks like at full driver* side drop the track bar will hit it as well. ahh the growing pains of custom stuff..

Last edited:
  • Sad
Well the TT is in and it looks great. Exhaust is a pain and seems way to close, to way too much. I have the dynamax super turbo cat back kit. I figured i would have to modify the rear tail pipe section, but the muffler itself seem way to close to the upper control arm mount, so i think i'll need a new one. Anyone running any shorter-ish mufflers that seem to have good clearance?

rear pipe is really stretching those hanger bushings and touches the gas tank and shock. and it looks like at full passanger drop the track bar will hit it as well. ahh the growing pains of custom stuff..
I'll just be happy to be in your shoes some day, doing the TT.

Shorter-ish muffler. Anyone?

Reactions: Vasq
I'll just be happy to be in your shoes some day, doing the TT.

Shorter-ish muffler. Anyone?
thanks bud. the TT was actually really easy. Not on the wallet haha, but overall the install went really smoothly. I'm thinking i might just have to get maybe 2" tail pipe, just for a little extra room. I'm only really annoyed because it doesn't even fit well enough that i would want to drive with it like that. So i'm considering trying to modify it myself with a new muffler and see how that does.