TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Colorado, I don't know shit about seafood and trust even less ;)
66E44367-603D-4F4C-9C51-30E15189F161.jpeg

That's what's great about Nebraska. We get a week or two of every type of weather on the planet.

Well it's not that great. 10 to 100 % humidity, -22F to 132F. Depends on the day. It's the Artic fighting the Gulf. It snowed 2 days ago, 65 today.

• Wow
Reactions: Tob
That's what's great about Nebraska. We get a week or two of every type of weather on the planet.

Well it's not that great. 10 to 100 % humidity, -22F to 132F. Depends on the day. It's the Artic fighting the Gulf. It snowed 2 days ago, 65 today.
That doesn’t sound too far off of the Denver area! I like it!

So I just completed the first day of travel... but barely.

650 miles... sitting at twin falls Idaho Koa and remembering why I quit driving truck for a living so many years ago.

Semi nearly ran me off the road on Snoqualmie pass, thought I was gonna be done 90 minutes in.

Then somewhere in Oregon, I am in left lane about to pass a semi up a hill when a car merging from an on ramp decides to do a double lane change to get around the same semi. I saw it coming and was able to get over on the shoulder in time to avoid him.

Finally, on 84 in Idaho... I was in a line of traffic going by a slow flatbed semi when an old dude on a beat up old Ford f150 decides to try to sneak between me an the semi... I saw it coming, slammed on the brakes (always fun in truck camper towing a trailer) and he nearly made it before clipping the rear of the semi, in the process dumping all the of course unsecured crap out of the bed of the truck... gas cans, circular saw, farm jack, and a bunch of other crap skidding along in my lane to try to dodge as I come to a halt.

Fucking people in this country... I swear half get in the car, turn the ignition on, and then shut their brains off.

I was worried about falling off a cliff at moab... guess I should have been worried about even getting there. Hopefully tomorrow goes just a bit better.

Test result came back... COVID positive 🤦🏻

It absolutely kills me to say it, but it looks like I am going to be sitting this one out. While I have no doubt I’ll recover just fine, the last thing I want to do is get someone else sick. I’ve always felt this COVID was way overblown, but even if this was just the regular flu I still wouldn’t be going around other people as I don’t want to spread nasty crap to others.

Of all the bad luck and piss poor timing for things, this has to be the worst of the worst.

I could probably drive up to catch the last day or two of the event, but an 8 hour drive each way for a day or two simply doesn’t make much sense.

I guess there’s always next year, and in the meantime I’ll organize plenty of local wheeling day trips.

Don’t have too much fun without me 😐

This thread is worthless without pics

So I just completed the first day of travel... but barely.

650 miles... sitting at twin falls Idaho Koa and remembering why I quit driving truck for a living so many years ago.

Semi nearly ran me off the road on Snoqualmie pass, thought I was gonna be done 90 minutes in.

Then somewhere in Oregon, I am in left lane about to pass a semi up a hill when a car merging from an on ramp decides to do a double lane change to get around the same semi. I saw it coming and was able to get over on the shoulder in time to avoid him.

Finally, on 84 in Idaho... I was in a line of traffic going by a slow flatbed semi when an old dude on a beat up old Ford f150 decides to try to sneak between me an the semi... I saw it coming, slammed on the brakes (always fun in truck camper towing a trailer) and he nearly made it before clipping the rear of the semi, in the process dumping all the of course unsecured crap out of the bed of the truck... gas cans, circular saw, farm jack, and a bunch of other crap skidding along in my lane to try to dodge as I come to a halt.

Fucking people in this country... I swear half get in the car, turn the ignition on, and then shut their brains off.

I was worried about falling off a cliff at moab... guess I should have been worried about even getting there. Hopefully tomorrow goes just a bit better.

Sometimes it's better to get in the slow lane and set the cruise.

On a funny note. My college age kid had to drive to my in laws and spent a half hour after getting there complaining about drivers. Then she told me. "Now I know why you where so stressed driving all the time."

@TJTurley I am not sure when Dino is in town, but if you use a radio supported by CHIRP (including a UV-5R) I can do it - I am at the hyatt (just a little north of downtown) and could do it. I believe I copied his settings correctly - so there's a small caveat there!

Oh, and my cable is this one, so your radio would need this connector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JVW4MSM/?tag=wranglerorg-20
@TJTurley I am not sure when Dino is in town, but if you use a radio supported by CHIRP (including a UV-5R) I can do it - I am at the hyatt (just a little north of downtown) and could do it. I believe I copied his settings correctly - so there's a small caveat there!

Oh, and my cable is this one, so your radio would need this connector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JVW4MSM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Sometimes it's better to get in the slow lane and set the cruise.

On a funny note. My college age kid had to drive to my in laws and spent a half hour after getting there complaining about drivers. Then she told me. "Now I know why you where so stressed driving all the time."
Problem is with the number of mountain passes plus trucks it would add two hours...

Reactions: InOmaha and rasband
If you’re up by the north end of town, DM me and we can program radios and test them out. I’m at the Hyatt

Here we go! A loaded up pic among many. Fun to see them. Wishing safe travels to all who are still on the road tomorrow. We're stopping in Dolores, CO (great spot) then to the camp Sunday midday ! Cheers!
20210423_192236.jpg

if you’re traveling on I70 Monday, through the Glenwood Canyon, the interstate will have 30min closures starting at 0900. Expect these closures to cause hours of delays. If the operations are not completed Monday, the closures will continue into Tuesday.
I wish I could have made it out to Moab myself but always knew there was a slim chance. Enjoy it guys!
Be safe

Wow... Driving up HWY 550 north of ABQ was amazing. Never seen anything like it. Then again, crawfish ponds and sugarcane fields don’t set too high of a bar for scenery. I’ve gotta get out of Louisiana!

BTW I am still in need of some shock relocation brackets, if you got some, bring em please! Would be a life saver!
I was going to suggest that route but didn't want to talk you out of I-70 as a B-line through the heart of the CO Rockies is tough to beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.