TJ Spare Tire Delete Options?

bumping this up. Not looking to add a license plate holder, but trying to get ideas on what to plug the factory holes in. Added a smittybilt bumper and swing out spare tire holder, so...looking to plug the factory spare tire holder holes.
Easy. Just put the hardware from the spare holder back in the tailgate.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Also be sure to wheel with very, very, understanding and patient companions. Otherwise when you cut a sidewall and they discover you ditched the spare they will leave you out there.

I wheel with my sons. I will eventually, and possibly soon, remove the rear seat and put the spare there.

The thing is that I’ve been through 3 sets of tires and never had a flat, much less a sidewall tear. Not to be arrogant. Where around here would I get a sidewall tear? I’ve been to all three hard trails and the most danger is in a creek bed like Denver.

On the flip side I damaged my tailgate dragging the spare, so I had to make an executive decision.

Eastern Washington. I’m in Spokane.
EW too. I lost a sidewall from rocks on the breaks of the Snake. Just in the last four years I've seen two sidewalls ruined on the trail by wood plus two destroyed valve stems. It can definitely happen.

Reactions: JMT
EW too. I lost a sidewall from rocks on the breaks of the Snake. Just in the last four years I've seen two sidewalls ruined on the trail by wood plus two destroyed valve stems. It can definitely happen.
Want to run a trail together sometime? I don’t even know the trails you mentioned.

Want to run a trail together sometime? I don’t even know the trails you mentioned.
Sure. Mostly we end up at Naches but occasionally do Rimrock. I like to finally try Liberty and maybe even find a reason to explore Mack, Owl, Thompson, and Twin Sisters out of Kettle Falls.

Reactions: JMT
Sure. Mostly we end up at Naches but occasionally do Rimrock. I like to finally try Liberty and maybe even find a reason to explore Mack, Owl, Thompson, and Twin Sisters out of Kettle Falls.
I never heard of these places, except Naches and Rimrock. Hopefully I’m done with my TCase tomorrow. Pain. Then we can figure something out

The thing is that I’ve been through 3 sets of tires and never had a flat, much less a sidewall tear.
I made a similar statement once..... "I've never had a flat in my life."
It went downhill from there. I lost 4 tires in a two month span.
Newtons law.... Never brag about your good fortune, it will be your downfall!!! ;)

I made a similar statement once..... "I've never had a flat in my life."
It went downhill from there. I lost 4 tires in a two month span.
Newtons law.... Never brag about your good fortune, it will be your downfall!!! ;)
I had this happen to me! Because I've seen people run without a spare, and liked the idea of increased rear visibility, I ditched mine once for a trail ride. Part of the way through the ride someone comes over the radio and tells me my right rear tire looks extremely low on air. We stop and I proceed to check it. To my shock, there was a small hole in the sidewall. :confused:

The only logical explanation was that there must have been something in one of the water holes we crossed, which punched a hole in the sidewall. Now, I didn't have either a spare or sidewall repair kit. Thankfully, I did at least think far enough ahead and give the group I was with a heads up, before we left, that I was going to run without a spare. It all worked out in the end, because one of the other guys let me use his spare. However, I never lived that one down and inevitably get asked if I want to run without a spare? My answer is an enthusiastic no! :cautious:

Reactions: williambmac
Dear mom and dad,

I love you guys, and I’m not arrogant about running without a spare, and I’m aware I can get a sidewall tear, but I’m going to do it anyway.

😉

bumping this up. Not looking to add a license plate holder, but trying to get ideas on what to plug the factory holes in. Added a smittybilt bumper and swing out spare tire holder, so...looking to plug the factory spare tire holder holes.
I plugged them with black plastic push-in style fender retainers.

Reactions: chimmike
2EA7D5D7-270C-4A82-A159-A41DD61C5799.jpeg

Get a few of these and plug the holes with them. Worked well on my brothers TJ. You can add some RTV as well to seal it up if needed

9A2FE2AE-2AD0-41B9-83D7-D5E714E283E2.jpeg

This was my fix after the tire carrier damaged the gate.

Just rip that ugly fucker off & be done with it

IMG_8329.JPG

Edit: I delayed this for a while as I searched for a reasonable 3rd brake light replacement for the stock tire carrier mounted one. I wasn't a fan of the license plate relocation bracket, I like the tag where it is. Then in an interesting twist I learned from talking with a buddy that's a mechanic that oddly enough Pennsylvania, the only State in the Union that requires doors, does NOT require a third brake light 🧐, so, as stated above, off came that ugly fucker.

Last edited: