Ultimate camping and towing rig

Thoughts on oil bath vs grease? Biggest argument against oil bath that I've found is that if the cap breaks the bearings blow up. Does that realistically ever happen? Everything else seems to be a major plus.

Also, how do you jack up a 16,000lb trailer to change tires? I assume my 2k rated floor jack won't do...? Lol.
Biggest issue I've seen with oil bath hubs is people tend to think of them as a fill it and forget it other than checking levels periodically. Seals and rubber/plastic caps do deteriorate. If you go the oil bath route do yourself a favor and carry a couple extra seals and caps and some extra oil just in case.

I usually carry a spare spindle kit and seal when I go on long trips with any of my trailers, just good practice..

I have. My biggest concerns are:

1) More to maintain.
2) Worse turning. Especially since I'll be pulling with SRW.

I think my next step is to weigh and calculate what we'll realistically be putting inside.

All valid points. When I bought mine it was all I could find at the time. No issues turning if I plan ahead a little. I’m SRW too. We only stop for gas at truck stops. That helps a lot. When I bring it home pulling it through a residential area can be a little sketchy. We just used the whole road.

For changing tires if you have torsion axles you can easily use leveling pads to get a tire off the ground. I also carry a small 5T bottle jack in the truck box and a 4 way. I have grease hubs and will be adding bearing buddies this year. Have them on the other trailers and they work well.

@toximus you get a build date for your truck yet?

No. But the 2-6mo estimate did get pushed back to 6-8mo. If I switch my order to a basic work truck (and no 5th wheel prep) they told me it'd be closer to 2-4mo.

I did find a new one last night with everything I want in TX, but for MSRP. But I can't talk myself into paying that much to get it sooner. Although it would be nice to have for summer house projects.

Unfortunately it's now sounding like there's a chance the trailer might be ready before the truck. So idk how that'll work out... :/

No. But the 2-6mo estimate did get pushed back to 6-8mo. If I switch my order to a basic work truck (and no 5th wheel prep) they told me it'd be closer to 2-4mo.

I did find a new one last night with everything I want in TX, but for MSRP. But I can't talk myself into paying that much to get it sooner. Although it would be nice to have for summer house projects.

Unfortunately it's now sounding like there's a chance the trailer might be ready before the truck. So idk how that'll work out... :/
I wouldn't change the order to take out the 5th wheel prep, they really have no idea when they'll pull the order. Everybody said the spray in bedliner was an issue when I got mine and I had my truck in just over 2 months from order.

Where's the trailer? I know a guy with a truck. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj

I did find a new one last night with everything I want in TX, but for MSRP. But I can't talk myself into paying that much to get it sooner.

How did you get it under MSRP with a brand new order?

How did you get it under MSRP with a brand new order?

Granger Ford in IA does it no questions asked. [email protected] They don't mind if you want to see if your local dealer will price match either. If you fly in they'll pick you up at the airport for free. Or drive and trade in. There're close enough to me that @Mrs Tox and I plan to drive down together in her Jeep and camp at Ledges State Park before finishing the drive home in separate vehicles.

Chapman Ford in PA does 4% under. But I think they aren't guaranteeing the price (meaning if Ford increases MSRP, they also increase the price). After the last increase, it ended up being closer to 2% under for those people.

My understanding is that if you can find a low volume dealer with allocations available you might be able to get your truck built sooner. The high volume dealers mentioned above have around 250 orders waiting each and only 30-75 allocations per month.

Last edited:
I couldn't bring myself to not get the carpet. Even though my floor mats cover 95% of it.

At first I was against it thinking that it'd be like our Jeeps without carpet (loud and hot). But after looking into it, it sounds like it's not simply a carpet delete but rather a different rubber/vinyl material they use that still dampens the noise just as much.

Obviously, if I've learned anything on the internet it's that nobody knows what they're talking about when comparing these types of things (last guy who recommended speakers to me turned out to be hard of hearing... :rolleyes: and the speakers sucked).

At first I was against it thinking that it'd be like our Jeeps without carpet (loud and hot). But after looking into it, it sounds like it's not simply a carpet delete but rather a different rubber/vinyl material they use that still dampens the noise just as much.

Obviously, if I've learned anything on the internet it's that nobody knows what they're talking about when comparing these types of things (last guy who recommended speakers to me turned out to be hard of hearing... :rolleyes: and the speakers sucked).
We had trucks on the farm with no carpet. It was always a rubbery vinyl type floor. These trucks are a lot nicer than what we had on the farm though.

We had trucks on the farm with no carpet. It was always a rubbery vinyl type floor. These trucks are a lot nicer than what we had on the farm though.

I remember by dad having an S10 back in the early 90s with it too. Now it almost looks like molded bedliner?

84209C62-2288-4513-A073-15474359BD18.jpeg

Reactions: Apparition
Reactions: Apparition
Showing my ignorance here, but what's the advantage of having the 5th wheel prep from the factory vs. having an aftermarket goose neck or 5th wheel installed post delivery? It only cost me $500, installed, for my B&W Turnover Ball goose neck hitch.

1642199982835.png

Showing my ignorance here, but what's the advantage of having the 5th wheel prep from the factory vs. having an aftermarket goose neck or 5th wheel installed post delivery? It only cost me $500, installed, for my B&W Turnover Ball goose neck hitch.

View attachment 302592

Not much imho.

1) Same warranty as the rest of the truck.
2) Possibly a cleaner install.
3) Possibly more expensive aftermarket.
4) The OEM system doesn't have the pin through the fender anymore.

If that was the only thing holding up my order I'd go aftermarket, but supposedly the bedliner (no problem going aftermarket) and adaptive steering are also holding up my order.

Supposedly the adaptive steering really helps with handling while towing so I opted for it.