Ultimate camping and towing rig

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
@Mrs Tox and I have been figuring out our dream life while I've been recovering the last few months and we'd like to travel more. We absolutely love tent camping and traveling fast and light with the Jeeps, but with our jobs we could travel more if we had more of a base camp that we could work from within range of cell reception. Additionally, we live in the cold white north and tent camping options just aren't available along highways when we travel south during the winter. Tent camping in the Walmart parking lot seems like it'd put us on a website of weirdos...

A truck camper and trailer combo seems to be an ideal setup for our needs and wants.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Reactions: rasband
Likely need a 3/4 or 1 ton for that Lance with a trailer due to payload.

Crawler Hawler would be nice

crawler-hauler.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
My fear is that gas stations and smaller campsites would be troublesome... If we only went to large events with open parking fields though that would be killer.
If you get a new truck then get a diesel. Then get a fuel card so you can fuel and pull through at the big boy pumps. It's crazy fast compared to the normal pumps plus tons of space.

As far as campsites, have you seen the monster trailers people pull nowadays? Sure some can be a problem but a good app and reservations can mitigate it.

Reactions: Ron505 and rasband
If I were in your scenario and my wife didn't mind the close quarters - I would get a truck bed camper and an independent trailer so you could haul either or both jeeps (@TurboTJ 's setup + a trailer). You can get some pretty solid truck camper setups these days with a proper restroom, living space, and a nice bed. A 3500 + your preferred camper layout and any trailer that can haul up to two jeeps = 👌

Had I never married, that was my plan anyway - but now with kids and a wife, it's now the retirement dream :) .

Reactions: SvtLdr
I know allot that swear by the Lance truck camper that need and use their pickups but if you don't need the pickup and are towing the Jeep it might be better to get an RV that can tow allot. I only mention it because you don't have the pickup. Having the RV really expands what you get for the length and weight you carry. If you want the pickup, makes sense.

Reactions: rasband
Lots of YouTube videos on this one. I have a fuel place a near my office that using this card makes fuel cheaper than anywhere else around me and it fills crazy fast.
Thanks. The TSD card is the one I was looking at. I liked no monthly/yearly user fees.

I know about the crazy fast fill rate. The first time I used a truck lane fuel pump, I used the handle lock, turned my back for a few seconds, turned around when the handle clicked to watch diesel fuel run down the side of my truck. It probably fills 10x faster than a regular fuel pump.

Reactions: Apparition
Thanks. The TSD card is the one I was looking at. I liked no monthly/yearly user fees.

I know about the crazy fast fill rate. The first time I used a truck lane fuel pump, I used the handle lock, turned my back for a few seconds, turned around when the handle clicked to watch diesel fuel run down the side of my truck. It probably fills 10x faster than a regular fuel pump.
Yep, no fees means you don’t have to use it but it saved me $5.81 on a fill up today.

Also handy for DEF at the pump, I never use jugs if I don’t absolutely have to. Had to once in California.

Since I’m spending your money….

F550, nice aluminum flatbed, super single conversion, do a Host (we like the Everest) and flat bed the Heaps.