Work from home LJ

I guess I should get on breaking down / building the backup dana 30 I have now. Grab myself a little stool to sit on and get to work:LOL:

Reactions: sab
Its been a few weeks. Thanks to PT, I am getting flexibility back before surgery (most likely at end of October). Ive set a goal to get Jeep back on all 4 tires before hand.

This morning I reamed out lower rear control arm holes. I have a longer drill bit and new hardware for my shock extensions to be delivered today.

Once I get upper reamed out, Im hoping I can remove the lower on one side to get enough extension to do bump stops and put new springs in.

I am swapping my 32"s for a like new soft top from previous owner (he bought another LJ). Which means I need to order my 35s.

So far, Im seeing basically all 35x12.50x15s sold out online. I could step up to the 17s but they jump in cost by $100ish per tire (and I dont really see a point).

I found these on Amazon (Cooper Evolution M/T All-Season 35X12.50R15LT 113Q Tire) for $200 per, which sounds too good to be true.

I had wanted to get KM3s but timing is making this harder. I should wait on the KM3s right?

Usage will be mostly around town driving, some trails, rocks, etc. I drive 3-5k miles a year in the Jeep. It is stored in garage when not being driven

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Do y’all have any tips to drill out the needed holes for bump stops?

I can’t seem to get the axle low enough to fit a drill in the space between the frame and pad.

I started drilling with smaller bits today but am quickly going to need more space.

Shocks, springs are out on one side. Trac bar disconnected.

I could maybe go up 1 more click on my jack stands holding the frame (6 tons). The front drooped way lower/easier

I can’t seem to get the axle low enough to fit a drill in the space between the frame and pad.

I started drilling with smaller bits today but am quickly going to need more space.

I could maybe go up 1 more click on my jack stands holding the frame (6 tons). The front drooped way lower/easier

Shorter bits, like a step bit.

Reactions: kameronkales
Man. I have step bits but I got nervous on accidentally reaming out to far.

Did you use spring compressors to get springs in? I can probably get holes drilled with step bit tomorrow then.

I don't use spring compressors anymore, I did once with a spacer lift and was quickly turned off. I do use a pry bar or other sliding surface sometimes

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a right angle drill…

🙂

Springs and bump stops are in. Dropped axle low enough so I didn’t need compressors.

Next up: swap rear brake lines for longer ones and throw on control arms. Hopefully get Jeep back on 4 wheels in next few days

Springs and bump stops are in. Dropped axle low enough so I didn’t need compressors.

Next up: swap rear brake lines for longer ones and throw on control arms. Hopefully get Jeep back on 4 wheels in next few days

Why do you need to swap the rear brake lines? This isn't commonly a thing

I thought you’re supposed to swap to longer lines with the longer springs I’m putting in. Already have the longer line so might as well at this stage

Not for the rear, only the front. The rear line traces the upper control arm (hard line from the frame to the soft line), so the lift doesn't change anything beyond the angle of the line which isn't really relevant to braking performance.

Last edited:
I got cooper evolution m/ts and some basic black 15x8 rims.

Discount tire matched a prime day offer at 180bucks a tire….was too good to pass up. I wanted to go BFG but those were out of stock and I drive the Jeep 3k miles a year.

Tires will probably dry rot before I wear them out

Reactions: PRNDL
I got cooper evolution m/ts and some basic black 15x8 rims.

Discount tire matched a prime day offer at 180bucks a tire….was too good to pass up. I wanted to go BFG but those were out of stock and I drive the Jeep 3k miles a year.

Tires will probably dry rot before I wear them out

Right on, that's a great price for 35s. I just put 35s on my LJ and looked at the Evolutions while shopping. They're well reviewed. I look forward to seeing them on your Jeep!