Axle Upgrade And Locker Advice

It can also be a problem on the trail if there's a malfunction and you don't know how to fix it because you paid someone to do the job. Not that everyone should know how to build diffs, but a solid working knowledge of the component and all of it parts can be helpful in that type of scenario. It beats the alternative, "I don't know why its not working, I pushed the button"

It can also be a problem on the trail if there's a malfunction and you don't know how to fix it because you paid someone to do the job. Not that everyone should know how to build diffs, but a solid working knowledge of the component and all of it parts can be helpful in that type of scenario. It beats the alternative, "I don't know why its not working, I pushed the button"

double edge sword on this... if you don’t have the skill set or knowledge to install your $1200 locker, you probably should pay someone that know what the hell they are doing so you don’t break it on the trail.

double edge sword on this... if you don’t have the skill set or knowledge to install your $1200 locker, you probably should pay someone that know what the hell they are doing so you don’t break it on the trail.
Agreed, but

* Not that everyone should know how to build diffs, but a solid working knowledge of the component and all of it parts can be helpful in that type of scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weasellee
Reactions: Rick Flair
it’s your problem when you’re paying an hourly rate for a mechanic/installer.
are you suggesting that you're not paying the mechanic/installer an hour rate to run the Eaton E-Locker electronics & wiring to the diff and to your dashboard?

Another wash.

Same for OX.

If saving a buck is the primary consideration get an automatic locker.

From the air compressor to the diff is a rubber hose that can be spliced rather easily. If the problem is deeper, perhaps a malfunction inside the diff or the air compressor itself that's certainly a different story, though one that's not unique to air lockers, any mechanical selectable locker can malfunction leaving you with issues you may or may not be able to resolve yourself.

I've never given that any thought because if the ARB ever fails lock you're simply left with what you started with, an open diff, maybe you'll have to pull a line... maybe not. Simply put it's not a day ender

I'm having this same dilemma right now. Running stock dana 30/35 and want a regear and selectible lockers. After factoring in the price of the parts and labor to build up my current axles, I'm seriously considering either sourcing Rubicon axles or buying crate dana 44s from East Coast Gear.

Anyone have experience with the ECGS axles? Seems like I might be able to find Rubi axles for less than $2k a piece, but not sure what I'd find inside once I got them home.

I'm in NH as well if you'd ever like to get together and wheel.

Will

Anyone have experience with the ECGS axles?
Yea, they are on the books to build my Spider 9 with super kingpins for my YJ build.

Very easy to work with. Chase, the owner took over my order and worked with me to get everything right. Worked with Fusion, Dynatrac, Currie, and some other axle builders to get quotes for my specific build specs. ECGS rose to the top. I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Ephry73
Yea, they are on the books to build my Spider 9 with super kingpins for my YJ build.

Very easy to work with. Chase, the owner took over my order and worked with me to get everything right. Worked with Fusion, Dynatrac, Currie, and some other axle builders to get quotes for my specific build specs. ECGS rose to the top. I would highly recommend them.
That's awesome to hear. Pricing for a full set of new dana 44 axles looks like it might only be ~ $2k more than rehabbing and building out my stock 30/35. I'm comfortable swapping axle assemblies but gearing and installing lockers is probably beyond what I want to take on.

That's awesome to hear. Pricing for a full set of new dana 44 axles looks like it might only be ~ $2k more than rehabbing and building out my stock 30/35. I'm comfortable swapping axle assemblies but gearing and installing lockers is probably beyond what I want to take on.
IIRC, ECGS charges $250 an axle for gear installs.
With the 489 stuff, you may can run genuine Dana Spicer gears, which would be nice.

I'm having this same dilemma right now. Running stock dana 30/35 and want a regear and selectible lockers. After factoring in the price of the parts and labor to build up my current axles, I'm seriously considering either sourcing Rubicon axles or buying crate dana 44s from East Coast Gear.

Anyone have experience with the ECGS axles? Seems like I might be able to find Rubi axles for less than $2k a piece, but not sure what I'd find inside once I got them home.

I'm in NH as well if you'd ever like to get together and wheel.

Will
What did you decide? Ive turned my focus tobthe ECGS crate 489

I was thinking about upgrading to a rear 44. As far as keeping it budget friendly, what do you recommend? Also what brand lockers? I for sure want to do just a selectable in the rear (for now)...
Don't change to a 44 in the rear. It's not an upgrade at all. More weight and less clearance. Most people even end up spending more to get less. Just do a super 35 with a selectable like you say. The type doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably do a Yukon zip but you do you. If you don't lock the 30 it'll be fine. Only go down that road if a rear locker isn't enough. Locking the Dana 30 turns one of the most reliable parts on your Jeep into a liability, just leave it alone until you really NEED to.

Reactions: FarminAg
Which Super 35 kit? 30 spline 1541H shafts?
That's the one! Currently waiting on the local shop for a labor quote to do lockers and gears.

I looked at a set of Rubicon dana 44s the other day, but the amount of rehab work required, plus the risk of the lockers not working correctly gave me pause. I saw you and @Irun respond to someone recently and say the super 35 kit was the way to go, and that helped me make my mind up.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hi all, am new here. Have owned my TJ for about 8 months now and have just started to build it up. I am looking at regear/lockers next. I have read a million different things and found so many different opinions online, so figured I'd state my specific case here for some specific help...

I run 33x12.5" tires at the moment. I would like to eventually run 35s (the RIGHT WAY) for some more-moderate off-roading. I also do daily drive the Jeep. Is it worth building the axles I have (Dana 30/35, stock 3.07 gears), or I was thinking about upgrading to a rear 44. As far as keeping it budget friendly, what do you recommend? Also what brand lockers? I for sure want to do just a selectable in the rear (for now)...

Thanks in advance.
I don’t think you should lock a Dana 35. Do a S35 or Dana 44 swap.