Bronco vs. Wrangler

Too bad Ford didn't use their excellent Twin I-beam front end. That was, in my opinion, the only truck IFS that was ever worth a damn. Everything else, including current Fords, are like Chevy's front end - unreliable and fragile.

Friends and I always referred those as the 'Ford Floppermatic"! We were just being kids. If a bomb went off under those, the only thing left would be the I-beams and radius arms. Solid design, but also had its limitations.

Friends and I always referred those as the 'Ford Floppermatic"! We were just being kids. If a bomb went off under those, the only thing left would be the I-beams and radius arms. Solid design, but also had its limitations.
With a little tweaking (called cut and turned beams), a Ford twin traction beam front end can offer tremendous capability/travel. Very underrated for sure.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
FWIW, I hate working on Fords. I wouldn’t like working on a new JL either. I’m happy with my TJ.

Ford is a very successful vehicle company and has been for a long time... I believe in the dust settles that jeep is going to have a better product offering, and the Bronco will do about as well as the FJ cruiser.. as far as how often you see them on the road... Maybe a little better... But it's not going to stand the world on its head.

Andy,

I agree with what you said, and have this to add. I'm not debating whether SFA or independent front axle is best for certain situations, but I do believe the front axle isn't why most people buy a 4x4.

Generally, members of this forum are a minority, when it comes to views on what an off road vehicle should do. Most of the owners I know that own an off road vehicle, want 4WD when the mall parking lot hasn't been plowed.

Per the interweb, newer FCA products may have quality issues and Ford has a better reputation. I'm not counting the Exploder, I mean Explorer, or the 6.0 or 7.3 diesel engines, to name a few examples of Ford's ineptitude.

Most purchases of new vehicles are for amenities and reliability, with the occasional ability to cruise a gravel road or beach. Being a cheap bastard, I would be reluctant to purchase any new $40K vehicle and thrash it. I can see myself wrenching on my LJ for a long time.

Ford is offering 35s from the factory. How many perspective owners are going to look past that? Hell that makes me a little tingly in the nethers...

My JT can fit 35’s stock too, and if the SFA had the articulation limitation of IFS, they definitely would not rub.

Bigger question, is do you want the 35’s that Ford says you get, or do you want a choice?

My JT can fit 35’s stock too, and if the SFA had the articulation limitation of IFS, they definitely would not rub.

Bigger question, is do you want the 35’s that Ford says you get, or do you want a choice?
Ford has a truck with a SFA and 35’s stock

1602903843503.jpeg

Generally, members of this forum are a minority, when it comes to views on what an off road vehicle should do. Most of the owners I know that own an off road vehicle, want 4WD when the mall parking lot hasn't been plowed.
You mean: Generally, "new" members of this forum.

I think you are new to the jeep world, we are the pioneers in off-road vehicles (starting from M38 in 1939 all the way to 2006 TJ Rubicon) since 1939 WW-ll Catastrophe to the 2007 JK Apocalypse we had the real 4WD off-road vehicles.

Jacked-up Toyotas, Fords, Rams and Chevy's are mostly parked in the driveways and they are the ones that wants a 4WD and new to off-road.

Last edited:
I think you are new to the jeep world, we are the pioneers in off-road vehicles (starting from M38 in 1939 all the way to 2006 TJ Rubicon) since 1939 WW-ll Catastrophe to the 2007 JK Apocalypse we had the real 4WD off-road vehicles.

Jacked-up Toyotas, Fords, Rams and Chevy's are mostly parked in the driveways and they are the ones that wants a 4WD and new to off-road.

I agree that members here are pioneers, but I'm not new to Jeeps. 47 years ago, I was off roading my mom's 48 Willy's CJ2a. If she only knew the places we took it. A few years later, when I got my drivers license, I moved up to a 67 Grand Cherokee, and my buddies were building CJ's with V8's and fiberglass bodies.

To clarify my use of generally, I meant that members of this forum are generally more hard core off roaders than most jeep owners, but they're a minority because I see more people with jeeps polishing them than driving them. There were a bazillion jeeps CJ, YJ, TJ's sold, but only a fraction of those owners are members here.

Living on the east coast, we don't have places like Moab or Johnson Valley. The few places around me are pay to play and share the land with UTV's and motorcycles. Typical off roading trips for me include hill climbs, mud holes and water crossings, and not a lot of rock crawling.

Getting back on track of this thread, if a buyer was looking at new Bronco vs new Wrangler, I don't think off road capability is their primary consideration.

You mentioned Toyota, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. You forgot one. Here's a picture of me off roading my Jaguar ( I don't recommend doing this)

Drowned Jag 2012-08-14.jpg

Last edited:

I believe 50% of buyers are more like my wife. She wants it to go and be red.
The next 25% would be the guy/gal that want it to go, have "giant tires", and be red.
There are maybe 5% of the buying public who would note OEM tire choice.

Last year the Gladiator was heralded to be the next best thing since sliced bread, and it hit the market and has sold in less than stellar numbers ...not bad numbers, but less than stellar. Stellar being 20,000 units a month the Tacoma sells. The Gladiator simply was never the vehicle that FCA executives claimed it was going to be.

Now Ford has finally brought the Bronco to market, and named the Wrangler as the target it will capture marketshare from.

That is a joke.

As well received as the Bronco will be, it simply will not phase the Wrangler ...here's why:

1. It isn't a Jeep. That encompasses an entire culture, owner groups, clubs and families. You can only be in that click with one thing ..you guessed it..only in a jeep.

2. It appeals to different buyers. The Bronco will be more in the high end specialty vehicle owner category ..like the Raptor , Cobra, and similar vehicles. It will have some prestige.

3. The top that is removable doesn't remove easily..it will be removed once then never again by some , and many will fear to create leaks , and never remove it . The Wrangler has more top options than about every convertible on the market combined.

Am I saying it will be a failure? Absolutely not.

Ford is doing a very good job with this type vehicle, and the Bronco has been long awaited. Ford is making some exciting vehicles.

The 392 Rubicon is not the answer to the Bronco...it's the answer to underpowered 3.6 JLU Wrangler.

I love Fords , but the possibility of a V8 JLU is a far bigger announcement than the Bronco. It very well may stand the Jeep world on its head.

I will tell you this ...if it gets produced , it will be the fastest selling debut we may ever see.

I am happy to see such a beloved vehicle as the Bronco return. I wish it had never left.

And it very well may help usher in one of the biggest changes in Wrangler development we may ever see... Something also equestrian badly needed...ponies
Do you think the competition will help bring Jeep prices down? I just went to Jeep today and they wanted $51k for a loaded 2 door Rubicon. Maybe I'm getting cheap as I age, but I thought that was pretty high, especially for a two door.
You are right on the 392 Rubicon, it will be huge.

Do you think the competition will help bring Jeep prices down? I just went to Jeep today and they wanted $51k for a loaded 2 door Rubicon. Maybe I'm getting cheap as I age, but I thought that was pretty high, especially for a two door.
You are right on the 392 Rubicon, it will be huge.
It will have some bearing if FCA thinks they need to, hopefully it will bring in some cheaper buildable models.

Getting back on track of this thread, if a buyer was looking at new Bronco vs new Wrangler, I don't think off road capability is their primary consideration.
This is a good statement. It’s going to attract the same folks that get a JL as an SUV. It will attract some for off-road use. It won’t create a new culture.

Keep in mind there's a significant demographic no one has seemed to mention yet... overlanders.

I believe the bronco will steal a large share of that market from the wrangler.