Road to LJ build

I bought my LJ in 2015 used with only 25k miles. Similarly it was owned by elderly people and they just never used it. This past week I finally lifted and put new tires on it after three years of saving. I have a 3.5in suspension lift with 33in nitto ridge grapplers on pro comp 17R. I also threw on a new steering kit and adjustable track bar. Crazy how similar our buys were.

299E084A-3CF4-49F4-BD7D-86D8745A0804.jpeg

I bought my LJ in 2015 used with only 25k miles. Similarly it was owned by elderly people and they just never used it. This past week I finally lifted and put new tires on it after three years of saving. I have a 3.5in suspension lift with 33in nitto ridge grapplers on pro comp 17R. I also threw on a new steering kit and adjustable track bar. Crazy how similar our buys were.

Absolutely love your build. What lift did you go with? How would you compare the ride from now to stock? Any other plans in the future?

Very exciting! I just bought an 05 LJ myself so I will be following your build closely. Nice that you were able to find one with minimal rust.

I was extremely lucky indeed, post pictues of your LJ! I'd love to see it. Although I'm not the most knowledgeable I do an extreme amount of research before I consider a modification so ask any questions if you'd like. Can't wait to see your build!

Definitely drive it before you re-gear. Some people think it is an absolute necessity, while plenty of others drive them without gearing changes and are perfectly happy with it (myself included).

Thanks, that's what I was also told by the head mechanic at the shop installing my lift. I plan on doing exactly what you said.

It's alright. I baby my TJ more than I do wheel it. We don't do anything hardcore with it anyhow. It's mostly just exploring forest service roads off the beaten path, taking it on the beach, and stuff like that. No rock crawling or hardcore wheeling that would destroy it in short order. Like I said, it's babied, but that's okay. Everyone uses their Jeep in a different way, and there's nothing wrong with that!
I bought an 06 LJ Ruby with 42,000 miles and I thought Id baby it!

But hanging around with some Jeepers and got roped into some off road stuff.

It's addicting, unbelief what these machines are capable off! Heck that's what there meant to do.

To each there own.

Reactions: Chris
I too went from a TJ to an LJ, (8 TJ to 06 LJ, both manuals.
Loving the longer wheelbase and transmission, which took some getting used to.
I started driving in 2nd as well because the gearing in 1st took some getting used to and reading in a post here somewhere that the clutch would get burned out starting in 2nd too much. Taking off in 1st is easy now, the trick for me was you can just smoothly take off and hold for a longer second or so before gearing up to 2nd, It took a few times of practice but now I see it's the way to go.

As far as tooling along at slow speed I've found that 3rd is excellent. I cruise along our beach while beachcombing just letting the engine drag me along for the ride nice and slow over the sand with all the rivulets and terrain features. It's a strong engine with great torque. The 6 speed manual is fantastic now that I've gotten used to.

Enjoy, it's a great vehicle, I've always said it's the perfect configuration Jeep unless you need the four door.

Fancy.jpg

Jadzia.jpg