Savvy rocker guard question

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
As the little SE ventures further off the beaten path, I find myself needing a bit more protection for the rocker panels. Here's the deal. At the moment there are few rocks involved, but lots of dirt, stumps, downed trees and various other sheet metal bending obstacles that threaten my almost pristine bodywork. (A coating of dirt and pine needles don't count)

To address this issue, I've decided to add the Savvy rocker guards. The question is, will the guards be enough for the time being or should I just bite the bullet and get the sliders as well. That's assuming that adding the sliders later isn't a huge deal, that the guard bases will do what needs doing, and that more rocks don't suddenly spring from the ground to dent my sheet metal.

It's an SE, so there is always the weight vs need thing to consider.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

If minor protection from brushing against objects is all that is needed, I think that is a good choice. If you're putting a lot of weight on them against an object and sliding along it you should add the steel slider.

The only thing is that the bottom row of holes on the backer isn't tapered to accept flat head bolts. You could taper them now and later place a tapered shim in if you add the slider.

Reactions: StG58
My understanding is that the aluminum is a backer and provides stiffness, but the steel outer is meant to be the sliding surface.
True that. The rockers need the stiffness to resist bending against common obstacles, but my line of reasoning was that most of those obsticles are fairly soft in the grand scheme of things.
If minor protection from brushing against objects is all that is needed, I think that is a good choice. If you're putting a lot of weight on them against an object and sliding along it you should add the steel slider.

The only thing is that the bottom row of holes on the backer isn't tapered to accept flat head bolts. You could taper them now and later place a tapered shim in if you add the slider.
Hmm. Not a straight forward bolt this on now, and bolt that on later if I need it thing then.

Food for thought. Thanks folks.

I'm guessing without the added slider, you'd bend something pivoting on a tree stump then?

Obviously the savvy set gives you better coverage but have you considered some tj rubi take offs? They are about 25lbs for the pair.

I think all stuff designed by @mrblaine works as a package. Just running the aluminum is something I wouldn't do without asking him directly about those sliders. He knows this stuff.

I would install a gas tank skid and engine skid before rocker guards.
Rocker guards are a big deal, holes in the body, they will never be pretty and new again. I think this stuff is for people that are going to bash their rockers and not for those that might.

I wouldn't do the factory Rubicon sliders, they are tin foil and don't really slide at all.

As the little SE ventures further off the beaten path, I find myself needing a bit more protection for the rocker panels. Here's the deal. At the moment there are few rocks involved, but lots of dirt, stumps, downed trees and various other sheet metal bending obstacles that threaten my almost pristine bodywork. (A coating of dirt and pine needles don't count)

To address this issue, I've decided to add the Savvy rocker guards. The question is, will the guards be enough for the time being or should I just bite the bullet and get the sliders as well. That's assuming that adding the sliders later isn't a huge deal, that the guard bases will do what needs doing, and that more rocks don't suddenly spring from the ground to dent my sheet metal.

I think all stuff designed by @mrblaine works as a package. Just running the aluminum is something I wouldn't do without asking him directly about those sliders. He knows this stuff.

I would install a gas tank skid and engine skid before rocker guards.
Rocker guards are a big deal, holes in the body, they will never be pretty and new again. I think this stuff is for people that are going to bash their rockers and not for those that might.

I wouldn't do the factory Rubicon sliders, they are tin foil and don't really slide at all.

Blaine's helper runs all the aluminum stuff from front to back, he does not run the steel sliders on his rockers, nor are they painted or coated. They have the texture of an oil painting with gouges from Johnson Valley, but they are not bent.

Reactions: StG58
Blaine's helper runs all the aluminum stuff from front to back, he does not run the steel sliders on his rockers, nor are they painted or coated. They have the texture of an oil painting with gouges from Johnson Valley, but they are not bent.
Lol, that's good information right there! Thanks!

They are terribly bent and ruined. They have performed exactly as we predicted. They should not be run where it matters without a steel skin or slider of some sort.

Reactions: JMT
Lol, that's good information right there! Thanks!
Good, not correct though. The intent of the design is two fold. Lots of folks run their sliders in JV. Lot of folks need a replaceable part that can be swapped out when required. One should not have to replace the whole thing and endure the expense of doing so.

So, I designed them in two pieces to add highly to the structural integrity of the tub when installed as a complete system with the internal backing plates. The intent was never to run the aluminum backer by itself since that is not its function. It stiffens the tub and spreads the impact loads out over a higher surface area. The slider protects the backer.

They are terribly bent and ruined. They have performed exactly as we predicted. They should not be run where it matters without a steel skin or slider of some sort.

They looked pretty straight to me 🤔 but you obviously see them more than I do. Not to mention you have an eye for angles and detail that I don't.

They looked pretty straight to me 🤔 but you obviously see them more than I do. Not to mention you have an eye for angles and detail that I don't.
They were fresh when you saw them. They have been over a few trails since then.
In perspective, this is the current state of his front bumper.
matt bumper.PNG

Good, not correct though. The intent of the design is two fold. Lots of folks run their sliders in JV. Lot of folks need a replaceable part that can be swapped out when required. One should not have to replace the whole thing and endure the expense of doing so.

So, I designed them in two pieces to add highly to the structural integrity of the tub when installed as a complete system with the internal backing plates. The intent was never to run the aluminum backer by itself since that is not its function. It stiffens the tub and spreads the impact loads out over a higher surface area. The slider protects the backer.
There ya' go. Thanks @mrblaine.

Those things are way overkill for what I do. But if I ever get into the basalt fields in Eastern Oregon, it'll be one less thing that needs changing.

You have to do the whole thing. It’s all or none. They sell it in two pieces simply so you can simply replace just one or the other if necessary

That's what
You have to do the whole thing. It’s all or none. They sell it in two pieces simply so you can simply replace just one or the other if necessary
That's what I gathered from mrblaine's comments. The search continues. The Savvy stuff is way overkill for what I do.

That's what

That's what I gathered from mrblaine's comments. The search continues. The Savvy stuff is way overkill for what I do.
Get the Warn rock sliders and call it a day. That’s going to do what you want