TJ Spare Tire Delete Options?

DaveK22

I have for a while now thought about removing the tailgate spare tire & mount. For the way I use my jeep (just local & weekend vehicle), carrying a heavy "33" spare seems unnecessary.

I would only do something which is reversible in case I ever owant to go back to stock look. So I saw this item on Amazon which not only has a vent but a license place light + 3rd brake light.

A few questions...
1. Has anyone installed this brand & model?
2. If I remove the stock license plate holder, what will I have left for mounting holes? Something I can just rubber plug?
3. Is it going to be a PIA to run a plate light wire through the door &/or harness?

Any feedback appreciated.

Hooke Spare Tire Delete

Running a wire was easy. My CB antenna is connected via a bracket in the middle area where my OE carrier was. The open holes I "filled" with black bolts. Did this for my TJ.

For my JKU (see pic) I removed the tire carrier arm from my FabFours rear bumper (JKU) and tossed it in the recycling bin. Originally, I offered it (free) to a local Jeep parts fabricator and the owner said he had no use for it, as most clients have been coming in with deleted spares or requesting that he deletes theirs.

For me, Its unnecessary weight. Unless I hit my offroad park. In which case, I throw my spare 33 in the back.

BF6BC349-FE70-4ECD-A805-19A482E268D1.jpeg

Reactions: Head Lice
I recently deleted my spare and license plate frame. I decided to leave the plate on the corner and just rolled it to match the tub radius. The holes in the tub for the plate frame could be plugged or left open, it's your choice. In my case, the license plate covered over the old holes.
20211018_170538.jpg

I did this this past summer. I wasn't a fan of the cheap plastic chrome trim around the light so I eventually painted it, but its held up so far. Pretty straight forward install, and I used black plastic plugs I found at Ace Hardware to fill the old license plate holes. I kept everything so I can go back to stock if I ever want to.

delete.jpg

I have a swing out carrier bumper.
I removed the spare, and removed the swing out portion. When I want to carry a spare (out of town, camping, exploring), I can plop it back in place in 3 minutes.

Agree on not needing to carry 200 extra pounds just to get groceries or go to work.

I would consider going with the Kentrol instead of that cheap Hooke Road one - the reviews were pretty awful. I installed the Kentrol not too long ago, removed the rear seat, and moved the spare inside the tub not too long ago. Verdict's still out on the Kentrol, but so far I'm enjoying the spare relocation and rear seat removal.

I'm pretty sure both reuse the stock vent - be gentle with the gasket when pulling it out.
2. If I remove the stock license plate holder, what will I have left for mounting holes? Something I can just rubber plug?
I'm planning to eventually add corner armor, but until then I'll either use rubber plugs or just put the hardware back into the holes after removing the license plate holder.
3. Is it going to be a PIA to run a plate light wire through the door &/or harness?
I'm reusing the factory tailgate contacts, one for the brake light and one for the license plate light, and grounding to the tailgate. It's not really a pain. The hot wires go through the vent, into the tailgate, and to the factory contacts.

Reactions: DuncLJ
I used a similiar license plate mount. Hooking up the third brake light is easy. Running a wire to the license plate light isn't really a pain in the ass, but it does require some creativity, you can use the factory contacts.
I used this mount to put my spare in the bed.

https://fabtechmotorsports.com/product/universal-spare-tire-flat-mount-ftt10001bk/
I didn't spend that much on it. Seems like I got it for half that on Amazon (no longer available on Amazon).

Anyway it holds the tire in nice and tight, and if I run with out the spare the mount it is very unobtrusive.

PXL_20210907_190103726.jpg

ttttttt.jpg

ttttttttt.jpg

bumping this up. Not looking to add a license plate holder, but trying to get ideas on what to plug the factory holes in. Added a smittybilt bumper and swing out spare tire holder, so...looking to plug the factory spare tire holder holes.