Turbo 4 Liter

40s??? It's gonna need some work.

20211118_122050.jpg

That looks great. Are going to keep the same turbo?
I may upgrade slightly. Not right away after I install the engine as I will want to break it in with the existing tune and at lower boost. Ultimately I will probably already be pushing the limits of the rest of the powertrain with my current turbo and the 4.7. I can't imagine my stock NV-3550, NP231 and Luk factory replacement clutch are going to hold much more than 400-500hp.

Ultimately I will probably already be pushing the limits of the rest of the powertrain with my current turbo and the 4.7. I can't imagine my stock NV-3550, NP231 and Luk factory replacement clutch are going to hold much more than 400-500hp.
Let's find out to be sure though 😉

Or even better, you can use mine as a guinea pig. I'll drop it off, pay you to do a GT42'ish setup, and we can blow my transmission up. It's cool, I've got a spare 😆

But seriously, you ever considered replicating your build on another rig after you get this all sorted? I know it's not what your speed shop typically does, but.........

• Haha
Reactions: Jezza
Are you going to be porting the intake and exhaust?
The head is already ported. I bought the Banks 51306 Torque Tube header system for the exhaust. The intake manifold I may just clean up a bit and port match a little. Honestly not really huge gains to be had on the intake side of a turbo engine.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Let's find out to be sure though 😉

Or even better, you can use mine as a guinea pig. I'll drop it off, pay you to do a GT42'ish setup, and we can blow my transmission up. It's cool, I've got a spare 😆

But seriously, you ever considered replicating your build on another rig after you get this all sorted? I know it's not what your speed shop typically does, but.........
I have actually been kicking around the idea of offering a turbo kit to the market. My automotive business makes kits for other cars already. The problems would be interchangeability as well as cost. There are so many changes in the 4.0 even over the TJ years, and I don't want to have 15 different kit part numbers. The other issue is the cost. I won't use or sell anything that isn't of reasonable quality. A decent entry level turbo is $800-1000. That plus a wastegate, bypass valve, intercooler, tuning, injectors, fuel pump, piping, fittings, hose, etc.. It all adds up, and I'm afraid that a good quality kit may be above the price that the average TJ person might be comfortable with.

He's got an aftermarket header.

On the intake though, did you get a port matched intake from Russ?
I did not get an intake done. I figured I will probably just port match it and slap it on. The design is pretty crap already. I'm not convinced that smoothing and blending it is going to result in any significant gains with the turbo. Have you seen that Newcomer video where he changes all the intakes and throttle bodies?

On the intake, yeah, just port matching was all I was talking about. He did one up for me for not much to go with the head. I don't think there's much to be gained opening up the runners. I did have him open up the throttle body opening though to match my 68mm TB. Not much of a concern on a turbo setup though.

On selling "kits" you are totally right. Most people wouldn't be willing to pay what a quality setup would be worth all said and done. Some crazy people might be willing to drive half way across the country to Texas to drop their rig off and pay to have it done correctly. Some people are crazy enough to want a 500hp TJ. Some people 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Jezza and Wildman