Turbo 4 Liter

The DC10 got a glass cockpit upgrade. The instant fuel mileage gauge is a bit of a downer. Difficult to keep it above 10mpg.

20220518_081124.jpg

I put my name in the queue for an Atlas this week. 14 weeks is what I was told right now. I opted for a Pro-series 2 speed case with a 4.3 gear set. According to them that case with those gears should handle the power I want to make. For now I wait...

Took the TJ on a short two day trip to Colorado a few weeks back. Everything worked well. It was interesting running with the turbo at altitude. It was definitely lazy getting into boost, but once it came on the power was comparable to my normal 600' or so. Idle was being a bit erratic, but the high idle was working well, so I just ran that the whole time. We ran Black Bear, half of Imogene and Ophir the first day and Mineral Creek, Poughkeepsie and Engineer the second. I was feeling reasonably confident until the wall on Poughkeepsie. My tires are old hard k02s that came on the Rock Monster wheels. I slid down twice and almost flopped. After that I was in my head and kept picking bad lines. After getting back I bought a new set of KM3s and checked the status of the Atlas, having seen a definite need for both. All in all a good trip with no major issues or damage.

20220711_102951.jpg

20220720_181830.jpg

20220711_135330.jpg

20220713_102138.jpg

20220711_085843.jpg

I was kicking around the idea of cutting the front bumper off at the fog lights. I don't really love the big bumper, but I do like having the winch, fog lights etc.. I was thinking of cutting it and putting in a filler panel. Thoughts??

220220711_135330.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I replaced my wider Warn bumper with a Motobilt Crusher series which is more of a stubby. I found I tend to hit my front bumper sides less on big rock faces, so it is useful. Apart from that I like the look better. I'd say do it!

Took the TJ on a short two day trip to Colorado a few weeks back. Everything worked well. It was interesting running with the turbo at altitude. It was definitely lazy getting into boost, but once it came on the power was comparable to my normal 600' or so. Idle was being a bit erratic, but the high idle was working well, so I just ran that the whole time. We ran Black Bear, half of Imogene and Ophir the first day and Mineral Creek, Poughkeepsie and Engineer the second. I was feeling reasonably confident until the wall on Poughkeepsie. My tires are old hard k02s that came on the Rock Monster wheels. I slid down twice and almost flopped. After that I was in my head and kept picking bad lines. After getting back I bought a new set of KM3s and checked the status of the Atlas, having seen a definite need for both. All in all a good trip with no major issues or damage.

View attachment 345860

View attachment 345861

View attachment 345878

View attachment 345879

View attachment 345880

I did the same on Poughkeepsie with ko2s back in 2020. Not so much picking bad lines but once I almost flopped the adrenaline had me shaking and my throttle control went to crap; I ended up winching.

My cousin made it up in his Tacoma on 31" all terrains so I decided wheelbase was a problem, went home and built an LJ on 35" STT pros (wanted km3 but they were on an 8+ week backorder in may of 2021)

I'll be back to Poughkeepsie in 4 weeks and if I still don't make it I'll only have my crap wheeling skills to blame. 🤣

I was kicking around the idea of cutting the front bumper off at the fog lights. I don't really love the big bumper, but I do like having the winch, fog lights etc.. I was thinking of cutting it and putting in a filler panel. Thoughts??

View attachment 347333
Given the size of the cut you'd have to make, I'd think the filler panel would look odd. With the amount of work it would take, it seems like a better bumper setup would clean up the front end and take some weight off the nose.

Reactions: L J and Wildman
I did the same on Poughkeepsie with ko2s back in 2020. Not so much picking bad lines but once I almost flopped the adrenaline had me shaking and my throttle control went to crap; I ended up winching.

My cousin made it up in his Tacoma on 31" all terrains so I decided wheelbase was a problem, went home and built an LJ on 35" STT pros (wanted km3 but they were on an 8+ week backorder in may of 2021)

I'll be back to Poughkeepsie in 4 weeks and if I still don't make it I'll only have my crap wheeling skills to blame. 🤣

I had to winch as well. The winch of shame in front of a group of JKs and LJs. Only one of them made it up though and he hit some spots hard. Good luck on the redemption run.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Given the size of the cut you'd have to make, I'd think the filler panel would look odd. With the amount of work it would take, it seems like a better bumper setup would clean up the front end and take some weight off the nose.
Yeah, I'm not sure anymore. I did this poor man's Photoshop on the pic. Can't say that I love it. Hard to find a bumper I really like though.

3220220711_135330.jpg

sell that one and build or buy a narrow steel bumper or if you can wait get an aluminum Savvy

I decided to cut the bumper anyway. It's a Chinese cheapo. Brand new on eBay for $200 with free shipping. No used value that I'm interested in collecting. I made some aluminum filler panels for now. I looked at the Genrights and Savvy, but nothing caught my eye. Maybe I'll fab one myself later when I have more time.

20220816_170909.jpg

20220816_172825.jpg

This is an incredible build! I can’t believe your engineering ability! If you are ever back in CO or if I make it to the DFW area I’d love to see this build in person!

Reactions: Wildman
This is an incredible build! I can’t believe your engineering ability! If you are ever back in CO or if I make it to the DFW area I’d love to see this build in person!

Thank you. I am already trying to get back to Colorado soon, but realistically it will probably be next year. The scenery is so spectacular there compared to Dallas.

Reactions: CV04TJR and Wildman
I did try and dyno the stock engine to destruction today, but it was just too hot and everything was working against it. My intercooler is insufficient for much more as well as the fuel injectors and also the wastegate spring needed to be changed. I did run up to 18 psi, but the results were pretty pathetic. The power never went much above 300. I was pulling so much timing to fight the heat it was ridiculous. If you zoom in the video watch the intake air temp. I don't even want to say out loud what it was.

That's not a good sound! Since your a/r's looked good I take it out wasn't running completely out of injector and it just didn't like the hot boost? I can't read the timing map. Do you think a better intercooler would have let you push it much farther? Stock compression ratio is pretty low as you know. What CR are you going with on the stroker? I know Eddy head is apples to oranges, but just curious. What exhaust is on it again? I wonder if it's being strangled or if the stock cam is cause (relatively) excessive dynamic compression ratios.

That's not a good sound! Since your a/r's looked good I take it out wasn't running completely out of injector and it just didn't like the hot boost? I can't read the timing map. Do you think a better intercooler would have let you push it much farther? Stock compression ratio is pretty low as you know. What CR are you going with on the stroker? I know Eddy head is apples to oranges, but just curious. What exhaust is on it again? I wonder if it's being strangled or if the stock cam is cause (relatively) excessive dynamic compression ratios.

The IATs were over 200 at times. I am going to upgrade the intercooler and turbo once I get it broken on. I did 9.5:1 on the stroker. Should help spool and not need as much boost. It has 3" exhaust from the turbo back, but the up-pipe still has the precats. I plan on changing that soon as well. It should be running again on Monday.

20220819_185934.jpg