Turbo vs engine swap

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
Shotty weather again has me in the house far too long this week. And too much contemplating. I like my 2.5 jeep for most everything except on road performance. That leaves me looking for a solution. An engine swap is the most obvious and within my knowledge base to do. However my whole build process has been around staying light and nimble. Which leaves me on the fence about a swap.
A turbo build would certainly do what I need, which is adding a bit of onroad performance. With no knowledge of building or tuning a proper turbo setup it a bit overwhelming.
How happy have those that have installed a turbo been?
A turbo leaves me little TJ light and nimble.

With no turbo background, I can certainly see it being intimidating. I don't think there are any kits out there, but any tuner shop that does custom installs for ricers and racers could fab you up something easily. Tuning and supporting mods are where knowledge and community support are essential and that is fairly lacking for Jeeps (when it comes to turbos that is).

I think @Jezza can likely provide helpful input. Just know anything you do will be custom and you are going to be spending some time learning and making things work. I certainly agree if on road performance is your main goal, an appropriately sized turbo could get you there. It's not going to make up for grossly inappropriate gearing but I don't think I need to tell you that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gollywomper
Can’t help much with the fab, but I can say that the little 2.0l turbo in my wife’s SUV is very nice to drive. It has a bit of lag, but once you’re past that, it feels like a much bigger engine.

With no turbo background, I can certainly at it being intimidating. I don't think there are any kits out there, but any tuner shop that does custom installs and ricers and racers could fab you up something easily. Tuning and supporting mods are where knowledge and community support are essential and that is fairly lacking for Jeeps (when it comes to turbos that is).

I think @Jezza can likely provide helpful input. Just know anything you do will be custom and you are going to be spending some time learning and making things work. I certainly agree if on road performance is your main goal, an appropriately sized turbo could get you there. It's not going to make up for grossly inappropriate gearing but I don't think I need to tell you that.

No. I am as properly geared as possible. I can do 75 down the freeway with 35s as long as it is flat. A 20-30 percent increase at highway rpm’s would be fantastic. Not sure what a turbo would realistically do.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
One thing the 2.5 does have is a ridiculous amount of room in front of the engine with the use on an electric fan. Plenty of room for new component’s

Without actually looking I think with a 4cyl you could run the exhaust around the front of the engine and keep the turbo in front of the intake manifold. Unless there is a reason you dont want the heat there.

Without actually looking I think with a 4cyl you could run the exhaust around the front of the engine and keep the turbo in front of the intake manifold. Unless there is a reason you dont want the heat there.

Why heat your intake manifold if you don't need to? The exhaust is already under it so in the DIY book it's on the other side of the engine.

Why heat your intake manifold if you don't need to? The exhaust is already under it so in the DIY book it's on the other side of the engine.

Just from a room standpoint. If the fan shroud is removed there is a ton of room in front of the engine to utilize. If it is worth while to do so.

Reactions: Wildman
Literally no different than turbocharging a 4.0. Just two cylinders less and more real estate under the hood. With an appropriately sized turbo and good tuning 175-200 hp is not unreasonable.

Same size turbo and component’s? Or do we need a smaller turbo?

Same size turbo and component’s? Or do we need a smaller turbo?

Suggested size for the turbo is in the DIY book. I have no experience with this setup but he does give all the measurements for stuff & a parts list of everything also. And If I remember correctly he was only running 5-6 PSI boost before he installed the innercooler. I'm sure if Jezza has the time he might be able to comment more on the quality of the build.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Suggested size for the turbo is in the DIY book. I have no experience with this setup but he does give all the measurements for stuff & a parts list of everything also. And If I remember correctly he was only running 5-6 PSI boost before he installed the innercooler. I'm sure if Jezza has the time he might be able to comment more on the quality of the build.

From his thread and dunno chart I don’t think he was running much more boost than that.