Ultimate camping and towing rig

Just went 2200 miles towing with the little ecoboost, the 2.7….she’s running fine.

But I do agree, diesel is the only way to pull heavy.

And I’d go super C over a class A pusher. But that’s preference in your theory.

I have 10k towing miles on my gasser already. The 6.4 hemi doesn't seem to mind pulling 12k all day long. Modern gas trucks have enough gears to pull way better than the old 3 and 4 speed auto stuff did.

I have 10k towing miles on my gasser already. The 6.4 hemi doesn't seem to mind pulling 12k all day long. Modern gas trucks have enough gears to pull way better than the old 3 and 4 speed auto stuff did.

I’m back and forth on the big gassers. Without the mountains here….

A 7.3 and 10 speed is appealing. Saves 10k!

8k but you’ll likely get it back at resale.

The torque differential is no joke.

For sure.

If I order a ‘22, I’m up in the air. With my build, 8k isn’t much but it’s a one and done. I won’t be buying another truck.

So torn. If I order I’m going all out and having DBL designs build it out. It’s not stock. So…maybe pop for diesel.

Reactions: Apparition
For sure.

If I order a ‘22, I’m up in the air. With my build, 8k isn’t much but it’s a one and done. I won’t be buying another truck.

So torn. If I order I’m going all out and having DBL designs build it out. It’s not stock. So…maybe pop for diesel.
I’m to the point I won’t keep any new vehicle if it’s not under warranty.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I’m to the point I won’t keep any new vehicle if it’s not under warranty.
I run mine until they die a and then try to run them for another 4 years, but I drive a lot, like 40k miles per year for just my hoopty car. I wish I had a motorhome and a place to put my tools, I am weekending as a mobile aircraft mechanic and filling a jetta with Milwaukee pack outs with tools is hard on it.

Since a F150 can’t tow that much, no. But you made it out like the ecoboost can’t make up two mountains. And that’s bullshit. Try again.
Buddy was towing his camper and 8-9 mile long grades didn’t cut it with the eco boost, his diesel gets 19 towing a bigger 5wheel camper, the eco boost is not even in a practical league for campers of any size

Buddy was towing his camper and 8-9 mile long grades didn’t cut it with the eco boost, his diesel gets 19 towing a bigger 5wheel camper, the eco boost is not even in a practical league for campers of any size

Well, a fiver isn’t in 1/2 realms and your buddies camper must have been too heavy. Must have looked at the RV sticker and not his scales. Most don’t.

I towed my 6k boat and close to that with my move and the 3.5 and 2.7 ecoboost worked awesome.

They are 1/2 trucks and I wouldn’t tow max like they state. But a reasonable weight, the boosted engines work SO much better than a NA engine.

Back to the thread. My diesels are better than anything gas. Just gotta justify the cost and use: everyone has a different need.

I have heard the "my diesel gets 19mpg towing" so many times. Last trip to Hot Springs AR I got 7.7 round trip and my two buddies in diesels got just a little bit more towing less weight than me. Both Fords, one 6.0 and one 6.4. I bet the new 6.7 does better, but not that much better.

I have heard the "my diesel gets 19mpg towing" so many times. Last trip to Hot Springs AR I got 7.7 round trip and my two buddies in diesels got just a little bit more towing less weight than me. Both Fords, one 6.0 and one 6.4. I bet the new 6.7 does better, but not that much better.
The 10 speed helps. In my 6.7 I got 12-13 towing to Cali and back but that’s running 5 over up to 80mph occasionally 90.

But it gets 18-20 unladen going 80.

I drive like an asshole and undoubtedly pay for it.

The 10 speed helps. In my 6.7 I got 12-13 towing to Cali and back but that’s running 5 over up to 80mph occasionally 90.

‘17 F350 with 3.55 gears.

Towing my 6k boat. With 35’ tires.

10-11 mpg.

14-16mpg empty.

I was easy on it.

This was hand calculated.

But the power was worth the juice. 🤷‍♂️🇺🇸😎

Reactions: Apparition

I drive the same way and from here to Hot Springs is all up and down hills.

I got nearly 20mpg round trip to St Louis empty. For what I use it for I have no regrets going with a gasser. With prices today I would have kept my 1500 and bought a clapped out 1 ton diesel van to pull my trailer.