ARB twin compressor (or smaller)?

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m planning to add an ARB compressor, for (yet-to-be-installed) lockers and for airing up. (I don’t and won’t own air tools.) Is the twin just a matter of convenience, or is there a functional difference that I should care about?

I can mount the single on the driver’s side of the engine compartment, by the firewall, on this (seemingly) perfect platform. I don’t think I can fit the twin there, and I don’t love the over-the-engine option. Does anyone have experience with it—does anything need to be relocated?

I’d choose the twin just for the speed of airing up. But it has to fit.

0328FE48-1BC5-4A16-AC1D-8F5204DD7308.jpeg

I wouldn't put all my eggs into one basket where a compressor for the lockers and tire filling duties are concerned. I'd go for ARB's small standard compressor that they have in a kit for the lockers and then go for a higher CFM compressor, like their dual-cylinder model, for refilling tires. The twin cylinder version just provides more air volume (a higher CFM rating) which is what you want for refilling tires if you don't want to spend 20-45 minutes refilling tires. Of course the 2 cylinder version could be used for both but I'd sure hate to have it crap out at the wrong time leaving both your lockers inoperative and no way to air up after a day on the trail.

I did a lot of research on this and for my uses I have decided on the CKMTA12 single cylinder. I will only need to air up 2-3 times per year as that is how often we drive on the beach. The rest of the time will be pavement or all weather roads. The 2 cylinder has twice the CFM & twice the duty cycle but keep in mind it also has twice the cost, twice the current draw and more than twice the weight. Not really bad issues if you can run the heavy wire, don't mind the cost and aren't counting pounds like I am for using as motorhome Toad. I recall a post where someone did manage to squeeze the 2 cylinder onto the ABS tray but I believe it requires some disassembly to do it. I am usually in favor of overkill and I do have a big system with a tank on my F350 but with the TJ I am trying to travel light. For my infrequent and light use I think the single cyl will be perfect.
If I had lockers though I would follow Jerry's advice and install the separate, smaller CKSA12 just for the lockers then go with something separate for the tires.

I wouldn't put all my eggs into one basket where a compressor for the lockers and tire filling duties are concerned. I'd go for ARB's small standard compressor that they have in a kit for the lockers and then go for a higher CFM compressor, like their dual-cylinder model, for refilling tires. The twin cylinder version just provides more air volume (a higher CFM rating) which is what you want for refilling tires if you don't want to spend 20-45 minutes refilling tires. Of course the 2 cylinder version could be used for both but I'd sure hate to have it crap out at the wrong time leaving both your lockers inoperative and no way to air up after a day on the trail.

Agree with Jerry: I'd get a small compressor just for the lockers. That's what I have now.

Figure the compressor for the lockers is going to be cycling on and off while you have your lockers on. They don't need much air to stay locked. With the price of the dual and how large it is, I wouldn't want it to wear out sooner than necessary. Plus it's loud and draws more battery power. So only turn on the dual for airing up.

Whether or not you want the dual is up to you. For 35's and above, I would get the dual. Smaller tires, the dual is not really needed. Can't help with the install. I have a different compressor mounted under the Jeep, under a skid plate.

My previous Jeep (a JKU) I had the dual mounted under the passenger seat. I wouldn't want it there again, but it's an option.

Reactions: PNW_LJ

Thank you. Do you happen to know whether the twin compressor is modular or folds in a way they would let it fit on the ABS platform? Because then I could mount a single compressor on the wheel well.

I do not have a ton of knowledge on compressors just to put that out there. However, I have a CKMA12 for sale, which has a "swivel" bracket so you can dial it in slightly or you can remove the cylinder so you can mount that and the compressor in different locations. ARB's claim says 2.34 CFM @ 29psi. I bought the compressor off my buddy before deciding to do OBA with my AC. He said to fill a 35" tire would take just over 2 min. From roughly 12 psi to 25-26psi and double as his locker air source.

Last edited:
Here is my single ARB in the area you are questioning. I run the single as I only need it for my rear locker the front is a e-locker for now. I use my SB compressor for airing up i transfer it between vehicles

20230329_095530.jpg

Last edited:
The nice thing about the ARB twin compressor is both compressors are wired and operate individually. I've intentionally sent them into thermal overload airing up 8 37" tires from 15 psi to 30 psi. It successfully aired up 6 tires before the first compressor shut down. The 2nd compressor aired up the 7th tire before giving up. Ten minutes later both compressors were back online and ready to go.
It literally is two compressors in one.

I got the single for my future lockers and to air up my tires (33s for now with goals of 35s) and I only plan on using it for my jeep and not airing up others to prevent problems but will hopefully run a system like powertank down the road anyways. So far I’ve only used it to tires since I don’t have lockers yet but it’s fantastic. If I had the money I’d get the dual but i didn’t think it was worth it for my purposes and cost.

I have the single running front and rear lockers, I also use it to air up my 35’s. It takes a little over 2minutes to air up one tire from 8psi to 26 psi.

My buddy bought the twin… it’s pretty big! He mounted it over the engine with a mount I think from MORE? Unless you can separate the twin, it won’t fit nicely any where in the engine bay.

I might one day get a power tank, but the ARB single has been treating me well. ARB makes good stuff, so I’m not too worried about redundancy, plus there are others in my group that have air sources.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I recently purchased, installed, and took out for the first time, a Viair 440H compressor. I have to say I am impressed with the speed of that little thing, however I am coming from a Viair 88p which itself is quite slow. I installed the 440H on that tray and it fits quite well. Many people use some type of bracket to mount the compressor vertically, however trial and error can get it directly bolted to the ABS tray horizontally. I used it and a ratchet strap to reseat 2 beads just this weekend.

No experience with the ARB compressors, but I don't believe there's much utility to the twin over a single.

I have both, small for lockers and large for tires. When I was getting my lockers done, everyone said I was crazy to send the extra cash when I already had the dual installed. Not long after getting the new lockers the switch for my dual died on me out in JV. I was able to use my wife's compressor to air back up and had my lockers the working entire time.
Twin fits in the spot you asked about. I used a 2 hole angle bracket attached to the fire wall, attached a piece of angle to that and ran it across and secured it to the fender.
PXL_20230203_050207778.jpg

PXL_20220402_231619550.jpg

The nice thing about the ARB twin compressor is both compressors are wired and operate individually. I've intentionally sent them into thermal overload airing up 8 37" tires from 15 psi to 30 psi. It successfully aired up 6 tires before the first compressor shut down. The 2nd compressor aired up the 7th tire before giving up. Ten minutes later both compressors were back online and ready to go.
It literally is two compressors in one.

I think a lot of people don’t realize the dual compressor is just two singles mounted together. One half of the dual could fail but you’d still have a fully functioning compressor.