Turbo 4 Liter

I think you know my position. This is a spare motor you are building on the side, right?
Didn't you have some issues with stroker stuff in the past? This is a spare engine I picked up with the intention of building it. My current engine is original as far as I can tell, and now has north of 175k miles. It won't last forever especially now that I am running 10-12 psi on the turbo pretty much all the time. On the dyno that was just over 300 wheel. I feel like that's probably pushing the limits.

Didn't you have some issues with stroker stuff in the past? This is a spare engine I picked up with the intention of building it. My current engine is original as far as I can tell, and now has north of 175k miles. It won't last forever especially now that I am running 10-12 psi on the turbo pretty much all the time. On the dyno that was just over 300 wheel. I feel like that's probably pushing the limits.
10-12 - That’s pretty cool. I don’t recall, are you still running cats?

10-12 - That’s pretty cool. I don’t recall, are you still running cats?
I still have the factory cats on the manifolds. I don't have a downstream one anymore. It still passes all the emissions here.

I have, but they were all cam related with the exception of one where the woodruff key broke and wallowed out the keyway on the end of the crank. None of those are "stroker" issues in my mind. If you are taking it apart, I wouldn't put it back together with a stock crank. Now whether or not you should leave there bottom end untouched is a different matter altogether IMHO.

What are you worried about being a weak point on the AMC I6? With your turbo setup and tuning ability, I would be tempted to slap an aluminum head on it and run it as is. But if this is your spare motor to build, and you want to build it, stroke it.

I have, but they were all cam related with the exception of one where the woodruff key broke and wallowed out the keyway on the end of the crank. None of those are "stroker" issues in my mind. If you are taking it apart, I wouldn't put it back together with a stock crank. Now whether or not you should leave there bottom end untouched is a different matter altogether IMHO.

What are you worried about being a weak point on the AMC I6? With your turbo setup and tuning ability, I would be tempted to slap an aluminum head on it and run it as is. But if this is your spare motor to build, and you want to build it, stroke it.
Ah okay, I couldn't remember what issues you had. I agree the issues with cams is probably not related to it being a stroker. My main concerns are the pistons and rods. Mostly pistons. I can hear a bit of top end noise when it's cold already. It sounds like piston slap, and goes away when warm, but I wonder if I may have cracked a skirt at some point. Really I just want it to be overbuilt as I want to be able to take it on some longer trips and have it be reliable. I looked at the Edelbrock head, and almost bought one. Having to change the exhaust manifolds turned me off a bit as I don't want to remake all those parts for the up-pipe. Then I went to buy one about a year ago and they are out of stock everywhere. I emailed Edelbrock and they don't know when or if more will be released.

• Sad
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
1634508582768.png

• Sad
Last time I checked Summit it had the ship date at 4/6/21. I think they just have an automatic estimate for shipping.
I think so, yeah. Gonna call Edelbrock one of these days and ask too. I'd really like a bare head to send to Russ Pottenger to P&P.

I think so, yeah. Gonna call Edelbrock one of these days and ask too. I'd really like a bare head to send to Russ Pottenger to P&P.
Please do, maybe if a few of us keep contacting them they will move them up the list.

Last edited:
Methanol kit showed up today. It should be a good way to get a little more out of it without pushing too much harder. I'm going to run some 30% methanol washer fluid. Then I can tee off for the washer pump and nozzles. I bought an inline washer pump to tee off with.

20211018_195546.jpg