Wizard Recovery Gear

😃

0FC9C799-335F-4F04-90EE-49B11EE132E7.jpeg

These days, I run an engineering company for a land development organization. PVC water and sewer pipe (the big stuff for municipal systems) has been in a “no quote” situation for over a year. This means you order it, and you’ll find out the price when they invoice you. They won’t even quote you a price! I’ve never experienced anything like that… I‘m glad I’m nearing retirement because this B.S. is incredibly fatiguing.

That's how it's been for our house. Lumber quote was good for that month, but if you didn't get the order placed by about the 15th, then they couldn't fit you in the delivery schedule until the month ended, at which point you get next months price. Which is why we had lumber sitting on our lot from February until we started framing first week of May.

It's been really fun watching my financial well being go through a 9 month long train wreck as my expected house payment grew by 50%.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: JMT and rasband
how deep are y'all burying the tails on your synthetic lines once around the ST?
the line was also passed through the weave 2x b4 the tail was tucked (about 14") is this recommended?
and it didn't have a very good taper on the end it was pretty much blunt. and i think i know better than that and it now has a taper.

how deep are y'all burying the tails on your synthetic lines once around the ST?
the line was also passed through the weave 2x b4 the tail was tucked (about 14") is this recommended?
and it didn't have a very good taper on the end it was pretty much blunt. and i think i know better than that and it now has a taper.

I'm going off of a years old memory. I found a chart that was based on rope diameter. The buried portion on mine is at least two feet with the end trimmed to a fairly long taper.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I'm going off of a years old memory. I found a chart that was based on rope diameter. The buried portion on mine is at least two feet with the end trimmed to a fairly long taper.

ya 14" doesn't seem like enough. i got 24" through the ST now with a 8-9" taper.

the pass throughs seem like they'd help bite the tail under load maybe eliminating the need to stitch it, but i'm not sure it's the right way to go about it.

ya 14" doesn't seem like enough. i got 24" through the ST now with a 8-9" taper.

the pass throughs seem like they'd help bite the tail under load maybe eliminating the need to stitch it, but i'm not sure it's the right way to go about it.

Whip out your trusty fast FID and read it. ;)

1663609323077.png

This changes some depending on if you are using a long bury splice or a Brummel.

The stitch is a vandalism stitch. If you want to test that, go load the line in the thimble with the winch a fair bit and then try to undo the splice.

The stitch is a vandalism stitch. If you want to test that, go load the line in the thimble with the winch a fair bit and then try to undo the splice.

the stitch keeps the tag end from creepin with repeated use, correct?

the stitch keeps the tag end from creepin with repeated use, correct?
Nope, not at all. The most the stitch does is keep the splice intact until you load it hard the first time. Just try it, pull on it and then try to undo the splice, it is amazing how hard it locks in. I typically have to get a large pick in there to start teasing the tail out prying against the edge of the opening carefully to not cut fibers.