Quirks of the 97 model

The round charcoal canister right in front of the brake booster and master has a small purge solenoid near it and the lines going from that to the charcoal canister and then to the manifold or near it.

I lost track of this thread. Mine is a 97 SE with no cruise. Would a video and pics of mine still be helpful?

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Jeep changed the electrical connector to the fuel injectors after 98.
The FSM's show the 97 and 98 used this style for both the 4.0L and 2.5L engines, but as of the 99 FSM this style was only used on the 2.5L, while the 4.0L used a new style connector.
97 injector connector.JPG

Reactions: SSTJ
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Jeep changed the electrical connector to the fuel injectors after 98.
The FSM's show the 97 and 98 used this style for both the 4.0L and 2.5L engines, but as of the 99 FSM this style was only used on the 2.5L, while the 4.0L used a new style connector.
View attachment 300968

Nice; I added it to the OP.

I'm not sure I know. I swapped out the 4.0 a few years back. Maybe @nuffsaid has this one handy, though I think he said he got rid of his 4.0 already.

Vaguely I was thinking it looked like that illustration, but it's been so long ago. I'm not at home right now and I tend to completely forget everything I did at work as soon as I leave, but I do have some of this stuff around somewhere in my garage. If I remember I'll check on them.

I guess it’s a quirk of the ‘97 TJ that just like there was no 1983 Corvette, and no 1998 Miata, there was no 1996 TJ Wrangler. But at least one country would like to officially disagree…

It seems In Japan the TJs imported into that country in 1996 were sold by the dealerships as, titled as, and registered as 1996 models (Japan’s Heisei year 8) So the TJ for sale below is a 1996 model. As are the other 1996 TJs available on this site.

https://www.beforward.jp/stocklist/make=205/mfg_year_from=1996/mfg_year_to=1996

DFEDF916-6CBC-456A-BC30-74410601CA18.png

863D9D5E-484C-423A-B5E1-C0042F77B89D.png

C03F22D8-48A5-4DA9-97C4-0932200A3BFC.png

83F6EB27-78C0-49C9-B093-C73B9A7C80D2.png

2C4D0103-B9CD-45B5-85E5-C0989E344077.png

23D3262C-E066-4377-BBFA-1E77319E6432.png

I guess it’s a quirk of the ‘97 TJ that just like there was no 1983 Corvette, and no 1998 Miata, there was no 1996 TJ Wrangler. But at least one country would like to officially disagree…

Very interesting. Updated the original post.

Very interesting. Updated the original post.

There was a thread here in the past year where someone was posting questions about a 1996 TJ which was the first time I'd learned about the export of them.

I thought it might be nice, for us owners of the 97 model, to keep track of some quirks.

Post your known quirks so we can know in advance, instead of learning the hard way.

I’ll make a list and update it so folks don’t have to scroll through each post. I'm just pulling from the posts in this thread and others, so I can't take credit (or blame!) for what's below. Correct me if you see something wrong.

———

General:
  • See this thread for an overview of TJ changes by year.
  • This forum's copy of the 97 FSM was updated in mid-2021. See here if you downloaded it previously.
  • Not a quirk, but FYI that 97s become "antique" cars in some states starting in 2022. See here and here.
  • Early 97s manufactured in 95 had a mix of YJ and TJ parts. Models manufactured in 96 were all TJ parts, or so I've read.
  • Jeep never made a 96 model TJ. The 97 was supposed to be released as a 96 but there were manufacturing delays. However, it seems that there were some 96 exports. See here for details.

Electrical:
  • 97s and 98s have different PDC connectors. See here.
  • For a discussion of 97 cruise control resistance settings, see here.
  • Some 97s have different color wiring for the speed sensors. See here for pics.
  • Some UK 97s have a different "immobilizer" than 98-and-up models do. The fix is here.
  • 97 manual transmission models have a different clutch safety switch. See here for details.
  • Some 97s have radio antenna thread of 1/4–28, whereas other TJs have 5/16–18. See here.
  • 97–98s have different electrical connectors to the fuel injectors. See here for details and a pic.
  • Some early 97s have a different under-hood PDC fuse and relay block, which matches the XJ's. See here.
  • The 97 TCC pass-through connector and solenoid connectors are different. See here and next few replies.
  • The 97 VSS would break down internally and leak ATF up into the electrical connector— hence the redesign.
  • The 97-99 models have the AC mounted on passenger side. This means the Durango alternator swap won't work.
  • The 97s (and maybe others?) have a grounding strap from the upper end of the gas filler tube to the frame. See here
  • Early 97 models manufactured in 96 use some electrical parts (like sensors) from the YJ. TPS and VSS, among others.
  • Blower motor under dash has pigtail connecting to harness at firewall, instead of harness plug. Pics and PNs here.
  • The 97 had different light bulbs in a few places:
    • Step / Footwell / Courtesy Light: 89
    • Sound Bar / Dome: 906
    • HVAC and Instrument: 74
    • Front side marker bulbs are also unique to 97s. See here for pics and scroll down for a link.
    • Tail lights use a 4-pin GM weatherpack, just like YJ. 98s and later use a proprietary plug. See also here.
    • For all other bulbs, see here.

Frame & Body:
  • Few-to-no quirks when it comes to doing a body lift. See here.
  • Apparently, some of the transition models came with leaf springs.
  • 97 models have three cowl vents, whereas later models have just one.
  • Under those cowl vents, the AC air intake has no cover. See here and here.
  • 1997 and 1998 were the only years that used Mist Gray for an interior color.
  • 97s had two grilles with different hood-latch mechanisms. See here. Part numbers are here.
  • '97 half doors had plastic track attached with push pins and two-sided tape. Rubber seal slides into track. Pics here.
  • 97s have different door hinges, which means two thing:
    • 1) You can't remove the OEM metal bushings by pounding upward (from the bottom) with the tapper-tool that comes with replacement bushing sets. Instead, you have to chisel the top edge loose and pull it out from above with pliers.
    • 2) You can't use any of the replacement bushing sets without trimming them down to about 3/4 of their original length. Buy Delrin bushings instead of ABS so you can trim them without shattering the bushing.
    • See here and here for details.
  • There were two different latches used on the '97 TJ based manufacture date. For more, see here and here.
    • HOOK, Hood Safety Catch 55074952AB 1 (Up to 1-2-97)
    • HOOK, Hood Safety Catch 55176731AA 1 (After 1-3-97)
    • The screw that holds it is: SCREW, Tapping, M6x1x20.

Engine & Drivetrain:
  • 97 was the only year a TJ had 3.55 gears with a Dana 44 option.
  • 97 4.0s had a TSB for weak valve springs that could cause a misfire. See here.
  • 97 fan clutch is held to the water pump by 4 separate 5/16" nuts and all thread studs.
  • 97 4.0s have 15mm bolts on the manifolds, not 14mm. 2.5s had 14mm bolts. See here and scroll down.
  • 97–98s have different electrical connectors to the fuel injectors. See here for details and a pic.
  • 97s have the evap canister under the hood. It was also a different canister than used in other year models.
  • 97 2.5Ls had the fuel rail damper located opposite side of rail from regular 2.5Ls, and also used a vacuum line.
  • 97s (some) have different plug for speedo gear. Pins vs blades in the connector (important for super short SYE).
  • Big quirk in the wiring of the 01-03 1996 build dates. @Wildman has more to offer here.

Interior:
  • The non-cruise, one-piece steering wheel was only used for 1997 and early 1998 models.
  • The ignition key cylinder has older-style turn grips that was only used on 1997 and early 1998 models.
  • 1997 and 1998 models were the only years that used "sliders" to control the HVAC system. Discussion here.
  • The 1997 and early 1998 windshield visors don't have those stupid, colorful airbag warning and child seat labels yet.
  • Early 97s did not use the fabric strap to hold the glove box in place. They used a plastic "catch" that is built into the box itself.

Misc:
  • 97s were the only year to have "Unleaded Fuel Only" written on the gauge cluster.

Any owners of a 97 have any insight for me over on this thread?

I found a new one. I'm pretty sure my 97 windshield to top gasket is way different than others I can find.

It has a hard metal backbone that lays on top of the windshield frame, not just the little u that clips on, is around 1/4 thicker when compressed and does not hang over the end of the windshield.

Reactions: RobertJ
I found a new one. I'm pretty sure my 97 windshield to top gasket is way different than others I can find.

It has a hard metal backbone that lays on top of the windshield frame, not just the little u that clips on, is around 1/4 thicker when compressed and does not hang over the end of the windshield.

Thanks. Mine is OEM and I plan on removing it soon. I'll see if mine matches yours.

I looked for info on the replacement here, so we'll see if the one I bought works.

Looking at that thread again, I wonder if what you're describing is really just the original design, compared to the newer design that does hang out? That was mentioned specifically in the thread I just linked above.

Thanks. Mine is OEM and I plan on removing it soon. I'll see if mine matches yours.

I looked for info on the replacement here, so we'll see if the one I bought works.

Looking at that thread again, I wonder if what you're describing is really just the original design, compared to the newer design that does hang out? That was mentioned specifically in the thread I just linked above.

I am not sure. I have tried 2 different after market and 1 older model mopar seal and none of them worked. To the point that the latches were loose enough I could push down on the top to windshield connection point and it would come undone. The older style mopar one I did find is still thinner than my original gasket. I'm wondering if there's an older windshield frame that's shorter. What's the measurement height of you windshield frame?

I ended up putting my original one back on two days ago and a majority of the wind noise went away and the latches are tighter.

If you do have the one with the metal inside, be really careful not to bend it.

I have my frame removed right now so I can take a look at mine. My TJ is a 01/96 build.

Which gasket are you talking about? The one between the windshield frame and tub.

20230407_151931.jpg

Or the one on top of the windshield frame?

20230407_152007.jpg

Neither of mine have any metal in them. And I've owned it since it was 4 years old.

I know you talked about the bulb being different but the courtesy light socket is a YJ hold over also. And I'm not sure if it's a SE thing or if it's a 97 only thing but my TJ only had a courtesy light on the drivers side. The plug was available on the passenger side but there wasn't a socket.

20230630_175551.jpg

The covers once they become faded are doubly worthless than they are new. I did find a NICE LED bulb that fits.

VehiCode Low Voltage 12-24v 67 89 98 1003 5007 5008 R10W LED Light Bulb (Daylight White) 1156 1141 BA15S Single Contact for RV Camper Interior Vanity Porch Dome Outdoor Landscape Light (4 Pack)​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMFRPNX/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And it Looks good in the socket also.

20230630_175604.jpg

With the old incandescent light it's a dull off White light.

20230630_180352.jpg

With the LED bulb installed it's a LOT nicer & brighter light.

20230630_183203.jpg